Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whats your recommendation's for big quads and hams ?

bouncer

This is really a two part question.
First my leg workout partner is having problems gaining size in his quads. He's working out with me in the hope of gaining the size he needs to compete next year. Although I'm glad to have him work out with me because I have great quads I think he should really be doing his own thing. First off my quads are big because I cycle almost everywhere, and have been doing that since before I started weight training. Plus my I find it easy to add bulk almost at will, where as my partner is a complete hard gainer. Even on a mass cycle he never gets fat or holds water, whereas I do both.
His diet is great, as he's a butcher he gets all the protein he like's, does'nt drink, sleeps lots etc. I'm sure you get the picture.
Our routine is normally this;

5 set's of heavy leg press 6-8 rep range.
3-5 set's of squats 6-8 rep range.
3 set's of extentions 8-10 reps.
4 sets of legs curls @ 8-10 reps
3 sets of stiff leg dead lifts at 10 reps.

Is this abit much for him ?. I don't think he really needs the extentions thrown in at this stage. I keep talling him that this routine should only be attempted once per week, but then I'm told he's trying to hit it again during the week when I'm not around !.

Now the second question ?.
What do you guys find is the best exercise for gaining size on my hams ?. The above is my ham string routine but my quads are far far bigger and making my hams look under developed !. So an suggestions for adding size to ham strings ?.

Regards

Bouncer

Personally, I would recommend doing squats first before another leg exercise. I think squats are one of the best leg exercises for gaining strength and mass. As to the volume, yes, I think it's to much but I am also a HIT advocate. If he isn't gaining weight, and he has a good diet, his T3 levels could be going through the roof causing his body temp to be higher and thus burning more calories. He could try a high calorie drink; like those advertised in the '80s having 10,000 calories per scoop (no I don't think he should have 10000 cal/day) but he could adjust the serving size. As for hamstrings, you're already doing the deadlifts and leg curls, I don't know of another exercise that will contract the ham's. If you aren't seeing results, try decreasing the volume. And take each set to + failure.

have him concentrate on heavy squats big time.i also do my hamstrings on seperate day.have him hit the squats and one other exercise and then nail calves.then on back day when your doing deadlifts throw in the ham curls with the stiff leg deads.just my opinoin.i couldn't hit the hams good after heavy squats,and we all know squats are going to give you mass.
becker.gif
It ain't over till it's over
:teleport:

I DEVELOPED MY QUADS AND HAMS THRU ATF SQUATS AND SLDL'S..THAT'S IT...IF HIS DIET IS AS CLEAN AS YOU SAY IT IS...THEN HAVE HIM CONCENTRATE ON HEAVY SQUATS AND SLDL'S(4-6 REP RANGE)...8 SETS FOR EACH EXERCISE(NOT COUNTING WARM UP).THIS IS THE ONLY ROUTINE THAT TRULY BROUGHT MASSIVE GAINS...:)

Thanks for replies guy's. The reason we do the leg press first is my fault really. My legs are stronger than my lower back, which I find fails before my legs during squats, so I try to balance things by pre-exhausting my legs first with the leg press machine.
I think I'll drop the leg press for awhile for his sake. If he get's his legs up to size we're bothing talking about competing together next year.
Regards
Bouncer

Whats the verdict on rep range for SQUATS?

I dont know about you but I always had the assumption from various articles and comments from pros that legs (and back) respond better to HIGHER reps (SQUATS specifically)? Something in the region of 10-15 ?? NOT 6-8???

Isnt that kind of rep range just gonna screw up your joints/back anyway?

big thinker, do you strap your knees when you do squats?

I for one use wraps. I use them when the weight starts getting into the 6/7/8 rep range.
Just found a picture showing my hams. It's at a really back angle, but show's to some extent my quad sweep and skinny looking hams. I'll try getting a side on picture in the next few days as this really show's nothing much. FRom front and side on I have good quads, but from the back my hams make them appear small.
Any honest opinions ?
My stats here are 6'2'' 245 lbs.
Regards

Bouncer

your hams need serious work at your bf level. or then, just cut up.

but take off the shirt man so we can critique for real

I don't need the shirt off to critisize my hams buddy. As for B/F well my sport here is Tug-o-War, it's big in Ireland, and I'd actually be alot heavier than this during the pulling session. I must actually get the digicam out and take some more. I hate taking 'posing' picture's as I feel like an asshole asking my wife to take them. Anyway thats getting away from the point. Front on my quads look good, but my hams are suffering. If I got them looking good I think I'd diet and train for competition for fun, just to give my mate some encouragement really.
Thanks.
Regards
Bouncer

Top Bottom