Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

whats your intervals of increasing weight

muscelove

im talking about intervals of increasing wieght. for me its about every 3 week for a deal lift. Its about 10 lbs for the deadlift. Just wondering how this compares to everyone else. Not just the deadlift either

I'd think more about percentages than a fixed increment accross all lifts and lifters. You probably should also understand that some people's plans involve, as coolcolj alluded to, a non-linear pattern or deal with loading in multiple ways. In the end, you want to add weight as frequently as possible with the goal of lifting as much as possible. But like I said, some people particularly those who are more advanced are not working linearly and the best way for them to post a big gain 8 months out will differ from that of someone less experienced.

I lift a certain weight until i am able to hit the reps then i bump the weight up; different poundages depending on the exercise.

About every week I try either
A) couple extra reps at the weight from last week
or
B) more weight
or
C) try to go slower on the negatives throughout the set and have more power on the positives :)

Always pushing to get stronger.

I always try for more than last time. If I've just bumped the weight then I might lose some reps due to failure, which I might try to make up with extra sets, but once I've made my target reps/sets then it's time to move on to a new weight. There's no point sitting stagnant with a weight you've already mastered.

Once I start lifting again (I hate you, discs) I'll increase the weight as often as I can. I don't see any reason to wait around to up the weight, so long as you safely completed your reps the previous time, while being humble (i.e., no cheating or forced reps, proper form, etc.). I'd only make an exception if I was juicing (which I will never do) simply because the gains would come so quickly, I'd be afraid of going too fast and leaving my tendons and connective tissues in the dust.

Beginners should also be wary of jumping too quickly in order to avoid this. Then again, Rippetoe has people adding 100 lbs. to their squat in a relatively short time, and they seem fine.

Top Bottom