Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

whats your deadlift max?

whats your deadlift max?

Votes: 112 22.3%

Votes: 167 33.3%

Votes: 132 26.3%

Votes: 54 10.8%

Votes: 18 3.6%

Votes: 7 1.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1200 all out bad ass

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
335 at 5'8 165 is that good? I just started doing DL's in my gym routine and I gotta say I love them! I recently sustained a shoulder injury and haven't been able to do any upperbody weight training. DL's are a real great workout for me, I usually warm up with just plates for about 10-15 reps then I do 185 for 8 reps and then I do sets of 3 reps adding weight every set until I feel my form starts suffering (ie; my lower back starts to bend) should I stop here or go until I can't lift the bar past my knees.

530 with just a belt, no suit and no straps. Sumo stance. I must add that I'm a lifetime natural which explains I can't lift more than that :)

jacked clown said:
A lot of people might think they can deadlift a lot, but I have seen someone pull 405 with wrist straps and only 300 bare handed. And I once saw someone deadlift 500 with a trap bar and only able to do like 395-410.

imo it depends on your goals. If your a powerlifter trying to lift as much as possible, fuck the straps. A rec or competitive bb looking to strengthen your back as much as possible without having to build your grip, use straps. I used to use straps in the Summer because my hands get fucked up from watersports, and wouldn't use them in the Winter. Now I use them year round because I'd rather have a strong back than strong hands. I can pull just as much either way but I can't rep as much without straps.

update for me my dl max is now 365 w straps @170. I have been doing DL's for less than a year hopefully in a couple of months I can hit 400. My main sport is jiu-jitsu and sub grappling, for all you wrestlers and fighters I can say that my strength and performance has improved significantly since doing deadlfts. If anybody has any other lifts that make u more explosive besides squats of course I'd love to hear bout them. peace

405# at 5'8'', 190lbs for me. Haven't tried higher, will soon after my 5x5.

Why is a trap bar easier? I've never tried one?

I used to use straps all the time when I DL'ed over 225. I had some WEAK ass forearms. So I stopped using straps and only DL'ed what I could w/o straps. Between that and grip work, my forearms soon caught up to my back.

BTW I DL traditionally.

for all the guys talking about using straps, dont, they are just a crutch and you will regret using them. If you need assistance(which you will once you start going heavy) pick up some lifting chalk online, it helps a ton. I have trouble repping 405 without chalk, but can do rack lockouts with 700+ with chalk.

vin01 said:
Why is a trap bar easier? I've never tried one?

I used to use straps all the time when I DL'ed over 225. I had some WEAK ass forearms. So I stopped using straps and only DL'ed what I could w/o straps. Between that and grip work, my forearms soon caught up to my back.

BTW I DL traditionally.

A trap bar is easier because of where the line of the weight crosses, right through your body, so you're not having to lever the weight up off the floor from in front of the body and not bringing the weight up your legs. It's more of a straight up movement. I feel trap DLs in my quads and calves and I understand traditional style hits you more in the hamstrings and glutes.

Some people have described trap DLs as being like a cross between squats and traditional deadlifts and I'm inclined to agree. The mechanics are different from a traditional deadlift, which is why they're great if you've got spinal problems which would otherwise make it impossible for you to safely squat or deadlift (my case).

575 in a meet @ 179#. 630 in the gym 2 months later @ 186#. Not sure what I can do now as I no longer compete

Top Bottom