Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What is your training philosophy?

Garza

For me it is hard and heavy. I believe in a progressive warmup, but few working sets and few reps. I usually do not go above 6 reps or 3 sets. Right now i'm following the Getting Big is Simple routine and it calls for 3 working sets of 6, its more reps and sets then I am used to but I am seeing gains. I know that some people like to do about 3 sets of 12 or so.

Also, i believe in just eating alot of good clean food, plenty of fruits and veggies and lots of meat.

I only do squat, bench, and deadlift. And the assistance exercises if I am up to it.

Sorry this is so brief, but what is your training philosophy?

Progression.

I too use few sets, but my rep ranges are different. I start with a weight i can do 8 reps with. Each week i strive to increase the amounts of reps i do:
e.g.
Week 1: 8 reps
week 2: 9 reps
week 3: 10 reps
week 4: 11 reps
week 5: 12 reps
week 6: increase weight, down to 8 reps.

This is not always the case because some weeks i can managed more than 1 extra rep.

Incase any people here didn't realise, this is progression.

My diet is clean, but i eat so much currently, that extra bodyfat is inevitable.

If you only squat, deadlift and bench i can only conclude that you are a power lifter.

If not, then i reckon you'll become more proportional (if you aren't already) with additional exercises.

I do power movements, but i sculpt them around an entire routine.

To improve on the previous weeks workout, be it with heavier weights or more reps. I also believe and im sure most people wont, that the more advanced and experienced you are in your training the more necessary it is to compromise form and cheat.

when I hit a real hard plateau then I will consider mapping out my week as Robboe does.

for now I simply abide by a few rules:
1. get out of the gym in under 1hr 15 minutes
2. 2-3 working sets per exercise max on upper body and 4-5 working sets max on lower body per exercise.
3. working sets must be to failure, to true failure.
4. warmup
5. treat each and every workout as a separate event. I try not to compare strength from previous workouts during the workout, if I am having a weak day (as sometimes happens) then I accept it and stay within my rep range by lowering the weight.

quality, before quantity. each movement has to be strict, controlled and under muscular control. form starts to break, youre done.

diet...hehe, still under construction

cardio. the least amount to get the desired effect. get in the target hr progress through time.

Form, Intensity, and Quality

Form:
If you don't follow perfect form and technique in your exercises, you are wasting your time. Too many people allow sloppy form and momentum to negate any positive results from their weight training. If a muscle isn't being worked then you are missing the point.

Intensity:
Turn it up or turn it off. It's that simple. The human body only adapts if it has to. "Par for the course" bullshit won't cut it. Continually challenge your body.

Quality:
A muscle fiber doesn't know and doesn't care how much weight you are using. If it takes big weights to achieve muscular failure within the desired rep range, then so be it. Let them be a means to an end, nothing more. You are the master and the weights are your servant, not vice versa. If you don't believe me, then become a powerlifter because you are in the wrong sport. All a muscle knows is if it is exhausted or not. Too many people become obsessed with size and big numbers. BB is about the best combination of size, cuts, and symmetry.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

Top Bottom