Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What weights do I need for bigger chest?

njbell

Hi experienced muscle men,

I'm after a little advice... I'm going on holiday in a few months and want to build up my chest as it's looks slightly out of proportion to the rest of my body and it's starting to look daft. My problem is I don't have acess to a gym at present so I'm just using dumbells and a bench in the house. My arms, shoulders and abs are quite big but my chest looks pretty flimsy in comparison. I do plenty of pushups and dumbell presses and it's toned but It needs to be bigger and more defined, especially at the top around my collar. I want some of those big rock hard breast things. I do pressups until I'm blue in the face but I don't get the results I do with my biceps, triceps, abs etc. I can tell I'm not pushing them hard enough and tearing the muscle like I need to. I'm going to go into town later on this afternoon to buy some more weights and a bar but I'm not sure how much weight I will need. At home I have 2 dumbells and 45Kg's of weight. I'm bicep curling 25Kg's at the moment. I'm 6.1 and weigh 82 kg . How much more weight do you think I should need and which excercises will I be best off doing? Will I need to buy a rack to go alongside my bench if im benchpressing with a bar? Also, the weights I currently have are 5 and 2.5 kg discs will these be too small to use on the bar or doesn't it matter.

Sorry if something like this has been posted elsewhere, I had a quick look and couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks in advance :)

NJB

well bro, if i were you i would take that money to a gym. you have got to have access somewhere? If I were you I would buy atleast my own bodyweight in weight. Probably more, but since you're a beginner you should be able to get away with that for now. Incline bench press would be good, so would regular bench and dumbbell flies. If you want to pursue bodybuilding though, you need access to a lot more than just a bench. I would invest in a power rack and much more weight so you can begin squatting and dead lifting. the body gains proportionally for the most part. so a higher squat will almost always guarantee a higher bench press.

Thanks for that Shibs "the body gains proportionally for the most part" I wasn't aware of this and I'm definitley guilty of paying too much attention to my top half. The only real excersise my bottom half gets is when I'm running. Does that mean if I start deadlifting/squatting and building my lower body it will be easier to build my top half?

I bought a barbell yesterday and another 35kg in weight but I can't afford any sort of rack yet (didn't realise how expensive this stuff was). I got home and put 75kg on the bar to start with and did a few sets of incline presses, however, without the rack, I'm having to clean the weight up to my chest and then sit down on the bench first which is a bit awkward and dismounting is even harder. I'm scratching all my chest as I roll the bar back down on to my knees. Is there an easier alternative to doing bench presses without a rack, or is there a temporary solution until I have enough cash to buy one?

Thanks people

edited to add - I've got a strange pain in both of my arms aroud the bicep area, I'm guessing it's from lowering the bar down from my chest and on to the floor. It's a different pain to the satisfying ache I usually get the day after doing bicep curls (sort of a dull sharp shooting pain). Am I over stressing them?

yes that is what it means.building your lower body will help wuth the upper. building a large muscle group like your upper legs also releases more natural test/gh. you need a good range of dumbbells and barbell weights to really have an effective workout plan, and some racks as well such as squat/bench. shit aint cheap unless u can find decent used stuff at a garage sale or a gym replacing some stuff u r probably better off going to a gym.

I had a real hard time getting my chest to grow. Incline bench helped but what made a world of difference was doing ring dips. You don't need a gym for this u can simply purchase a pair of rings and hang them up somewhere at home. They are very hard to do at first but once u get the hang of it you will experience amaizing growth.

Bro, if you don't want your chest to look so "daft" you have to use workouts that include a barbell ie benchpress and incline press. Sounds to me that you are not pushing your chest workouts as hard as you should be. Your chest will catch up with the rest of your body in due time. Widen up on your grip and give it hell.

Last edited:
If you can't afford a full power rack, you can get just a weight rack (something like, though not necessarily this specifically: Squat Rack -- Powerline by Body-Solid (PSS60X)) for a lot cheaper. That particular one supports up to 400 lbs and you can use it for bench, squat, overhead press, etc.

If you're looking to have a developed chest, you're going to need at LEAST your body weight in weights. 25kg bicep curls for reps is pretty strong as far as biceps goes. If you were comparatively strong in your chest, I'd guess you'd need to be benching somewhere between 1 and 1.5 times body weight for reps. Thats 82-123kg of weight. Compare that to the 45kg you currently had available for chest exercises and it's no wonder your chest is lagging.

Also, yes you are going to need larger plates than 5 kg because there likely wouldn't be enough room on the bar for the totals you'd need.

Top Bottom