Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what type of overhead presses do you powerlifting guys do?

die faster

still training for mass, one of my main days is based around overhead presses. just wondering what type you guys do.. i do standing overhead presses, picking up the bar to my chest, then pressing it for reps. is this the way its done for strength training?

btw im 5'8 208, i started this a few months ago and i start with a 5x5 with 135, then 185 last time i got 4,3,3. what would be a good amount of weight that would be considered strong for my size? 225?

A strict bodyweight standing BB press is respectible. I dont see many others in my gym training this lift. It's a shame too since it works every muscle in the upper body to some extent.

I'm a fan of standing BB presses, push presses, single arm standing DB presses/jerks, overhead squats, DB swings/snatches, and hand stands/ hand stand push ups. All these lifts will blow your upper body up and destroy your core.

Anytime you put weight overhead while standing you're on the right path.

A strict bodyweight standing BB press is respectible. I dont see many others in my gym training this lift. It's a shame too since it works every muscle in the upper body to some extent.

I'm a fan of standing BB presses, push presses, single arm standing DB presses/jerks, overhead squats, DB swings/snatches, and hand stands/ hand stand push ups. All these lifts will blow your upper body up and destroy your core.

Anytime you put weight overhead while standing you're on the right path.

i absolutely love these standing overhead presses. i feel it in my entire core, and theres so many stabalizing muscles involved. so bodyweight is pretty much what i figured. i think i can pull that off. i dont see anyone in my gym doing them either, theyre all on the smith machine

Keep it up with the standing barbell press.

Imo it's the best shoulder exercise and an excellent total body lift. I've felt my quads almost lock up from tensing when really grinding out a final rep or going for a max.

The only other shoulder exercise I like as much are one arm kettlebell presses because they feel good.

i like the standing barbell press alot. on lower weights i like to throw it behind my head as well. this seems to be a debatable workout to some ppl, as many say to never do anything behind your head. and it can be hazardous if you have are prone to shoulder problems. although in my opinion its great and i like how the change of grip and the elbows being flared out hit the upper back/rear-delt area more.

military press

ie standing with a BB and feet very close, no leg drive

I use the squat rack though instead of cleaning it from the floor

but if Im honest Ive not actually seen a great carry over from these presses to my benchpress...

"but if Im honest Ive not actually seen a great carry over from these presses to my benchpress..." Yeah I'm seeing the same problem. I wasn't doing military presses a lot and figured incorporating them wouldn't hurt. I haven't seen a lot of carry over in terms of strength from them though :/

"but if Im honest Ive not actually seen a great carry over from these presses to my benchpress..." Yeah I'm seeing the same problem. I wasn't doing military presses a lot and figured incorporating them wouldn't hurt. I haven't seen a lot of carry over in terms of strength from them though :/

have your shoulders increased in size from doing them?

military press

ie standing with a BB and feet very close, no leg drive

I use the squat rack though instead of cleaning it from the floor

but if Im honest Ive not actually seen a great carry over from these presses to my benchpress...

this is exactly how i do them, but with my feet in a walking position just to keep me from losing balance and dropping the bar behind me. after im done with these is when i do some dumbbell benches and cable tricep work, then on my bench day i do close grip and dips after benching. everything is moving up pretty steadily doing it this way

cobra, i would never do these behing my head because with a heavy load i can def see fucking yourself up, or dropping it behind me while dick heads are walking right behind me even though they see im doing this. if you want to do behind the necks, do it in the power rack and start with the bar already at shoulder height

Top Bottom