Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What Is A Superset?/is It Important?

A superset is when you finish a set of an exercise, then immediately do another exercise for the same bodypart with no rest. It's a great technique but should be used in moderation as it is very taxing on the body

needsize said:
It's a great technique

For what? :D

(Notice obnoxious, rhetorical question)

I've got nothing against supersets, but I think far too many people do them with no clue as to WHY.

I think it falls under the "high rep, low weight, higher heartrate, lose weight" category. I've never found much benefit from doing thiem.

i use them on my clients to get em tired. hehe. they like to feel like they did alot of exercises or i use them if we run short of time. they walk out tired, burning cals and feeling like they moved the world. hehehe.

Belial: Good reply. And it goes for a frigthening high percentage of all the arguments about "right way of training" coming from powerlifters/body builders.

"WHY" is the essential question, when someone try to convince you that this is just the best way of training ever seen.

Maybe the reason for believing a certain way of training is the best is personal experience with a lot of different ways of training. That's fair enough. But (without any intention of disrespect to the 18 years olds), how can an 18-year old kid in the gym give advice about anything based on experience?

So your post hit right on the spot on why so many get so little out of the efforts in the gym. They just follow the loudest mouths without demanding an explanation of WHY this is the best way of training.

And an answer like "Because it's a great technique" is an arrogant and disrespectful way of treating a person who come to you for help.

I have found them to be a good tool for use in a mass building program, great for pushing muscles part failure, same idea as drop sets, forced reps, etc. I think too many people use these types of techiniques though without any thought as to the science of why they should

Hmmm...just read my own reply again, and to avoid any misunderstandings it was not aimed at "needsize", as his post did contain an explanation. It was aimed at all those know-it-alls giving advice left and right without at the same time giving (or being able to give) any kind of sensible reason for the validity of their advice.

That kind of people should be put on ignore both on this board and in real life. Building your body/strength should be compared to building a car. Any idiot can buy some stuff from Auto Zone, put it together and call it a car. But it's the guy who truly understand why the components should be put together exactly the way he does, who ends up with the winner.

Basically the difference between accepting "Because it is!" as an answer and demanding an explanation why it is that way, makes the difference between ending up as a Yugo or a Lexus.

Great post Beleriand, so true. I personally know some on this board that don't have the experience to be giving out advice but certainly do. Thanks for clarifying that it wasn't aimed at me, I was wondering if you were saying I was an 18 year old kid, in some ways I almost wish I was.......

Top Bottom