Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What are some cheap foods that are good for you?

ConstantChange

I'm a college student so I don't have alot of money to spend on food. What are some cheap things I can get that will give me a somewhat clean diet? I've heard turkey and ham sandwiches are pretty good. I won't touch tuna. Can you guys name off some things you like to eat that don't break the bank. I'm not really strict about my diet, just want to find something better than hamburgers and french fries that cost about the same.

Eggs are a pretty good protein source and oatmeal is my staple carb source. Pasta is cheap and good in a meal one hour after your post workout shake. I know you don't like tuna but it's pretty good when thrown into one of those 33 cent boxes of mac and cheese. Likewise, you can find really cheap protein at http://www.proteinfactory.com

The big question is whether you live in a dorm or apartment/non-university housing? If you live off campus and cook your own food, go get a membership to Sam's Club ($35/yr). You can get about a dozen FAT chx breasts for roughly $13 ... much cheaper than the grocery. Too bad you don't like tuna. It's cheap and packs quite a protein/healthy fat wallop. If you go the sandwich route, you might want to use whole grain breads (NOT white or whole wheat) and have the deli slice your meat. Packaged stuff is highly processed.

Tuna is the best, but if you hate it, I suggest Peanut Butter, yes its high in fat, but its also high in protein, its filling, tastes great, and its very cheap.

greenday said:
Tuna is the best, but if you hate it, I suggest Peanut Butter, yes its high in fat, but its also high in protein, its filling, tastes great, and its very cheap.

Most brands of pb you get at the store are also very high in sugar, so keep that in mind also.

Carne Asada Burritos if you are anywhere near SoCAL....
High in Fat but tons of protein.....once or twice a week is fine. Even vbetter if you are on cycle......

I'm off campus, so I do my own cooking. That Sams idea sounds like a good one, didn't know it was only $35/year. I love chicken breast so I might have to look into that. You guys just throw these on the George Foreman? Sad to say, but I don't have a foreman yet, just use the oven and stove for things like that. What about Cereals? Any of you guys eat cereal in the morning? I usually have some cheerios or corn flakes before I hit class. Anyone else have something different to add?

musclepup said:
Carne Asada Burritos if you are anywhere near SoCAL....
High in Fat but tons of protein.....once or twice a week is fine. Even vbetter if you are on cycle......

I disagree. The beef is ok, but the tortillas they use are one of the worst carbohydrate sources you will find. They're high calorie, high fat, and high GI.

Top Bottom