Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What's the most important aspect of any workout program?

SAF

I'm always trying to improve myself. I recently starting eating much better and more frequently during the day, and it has made a huge difference. I feel harder and much more full.

I also changed my workout around, and now my muscles have been getting soar in places where they have'nt felt soar in months.

So far so good. I'm trying to prioritize all aspects of my current workout regime to better understand where I am slacking, if I'm slacking at all. Tell me what you think of this, I've ordered them beginning from most important to lease important.

1) Diet (Eat 6 times a day, 200-250g protein/day)

2) Sleep (Only 6.5 hours/night)

3) Workout (Have'nt missed a day in the past 6 years, low reps, heavy weight)

4) Juice ( I know what I get is real, trust me ;) )

I placed diet first because I know that varying any diet can lead to an increase or decrease in body weight, even if you dont train. You can change the way you look very easily through your diet, no surprises there.

Sleep comes next because if you dont sleep enough, you cant properly recover for your next workout, and, you also cant build new muscle mass since you build muslce only when you are sleeping. I only get about 6.5 hours per night and during my workouts I feel really drained, so I'm thinking that more sleep will make another huge difference.

Workout comes next, but it is next to dead last. Think about the amount of time you spend in the gym. At the end of the week, the total amount of time you're in the gym wont even come near how much time your spend eating, or, how much time you spend sleeping. It's true. I've always been the type of person to train properly. I'm thankful for having a good partner for motivation and we always enforce eachother to avoid slacking. Having a good partner is vital.

I placed juice dead last because I think that in the end it's just an enhancer. Juice wont do a damn thing for you unless the previuos 3 aspects are relatively satisfied. You can pump your ass all day along, and if you dont sleep right, eat enough, or train correctly, it wont make the slightest but of difference in the way you look.

Just wondering what you guys think of my reasoning.

SAF

I think alot of what you are saying is right, but I must pick you up on one point. You say you want advice if you are slacking or not and then you say that you have not missed a day in the last few years.

This is where you are falling down. A good nights sleep is definately not enough recuperation time. You need to take 1 or maybe 2 days off from training per week. This way you will be more refreshed when training after a rest day and you will be suprised how much more motivated you are to lift some serious poundage.

Forget one or two days off. If you have not missed a day in six years you need a month or more off. I hope you mean a scheduled day. This way every 5 to 8 weeks you would be scheduling a full week off from training. An active rest week. The only exceptions would be contest prep or sometimes for athletes a peaking phase (but even then the last week would be more going through the motions to keep the mind focused).
Oh yeah-also vary your load, tempo, exercises, sets and reps every few weeks-this is a very underutilized technique that will help you to continually make progress.

I think you misunderstood me when I said that I have'nt missed a day of working out in the past 6 years. I usually train 4 days week, which covers my entire body for 1 week, then the weekends I usually take off. What I meant was that I dont miss weeks, or even months at a time due to laziness :eek:

Ever wonder why a gym will get really busy as the summer months approach? The gym begins to fill up with people you've never seen befor. These are the people that think that they can start working out around March an look good in time for the summer. After the summer is over, you wont see these people in the gym again until next Spring!

So, what I meant was that I'm not one of these people! These people are slackers!

SAF

I still think taking a week off occasionally is one of the best things I do - I'm referring to a week every three - four months, usually after a cycle. I always come back stronger and refreshed and feel like I got something back that I lost through exhaustion - getting through a cycle is a pretty harsh process for your body.

VTAT,

I agree. I recently took 1 week off because my training partner had to leave for a business trip. When I came back to the gym, I was able to lift more wieght while maintaining good form because I felt so damn energized. I felt more awake and stronger as a result. I know what the dead would feel like to live again!

SAF

I agree with baller, but simply saying you can have all the gear in the world, best meals and workouts planned, but if you don't have the guts and will to keep at it 24-7 you are just wasting your time. It doesn't end when you leave the gym, its a constant battle.

Top Bottom