Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What's the best exercise to really zoom in on glutes?

cherylynn

I do squats w/dumbells (about 20 lbs) but I mainly feel it in my quads. And I go as low as I can, or should.
I'd like to feel some burn in the rump!
Thanks! ;)

Deadlifts, Glute-ham raises, Step-ups, etc...

Also, on squats, try to make sure you keep your knees back, and push through your heels. Kind of like sitting in a chair, it's tough...but you'll get used to it. This puts more torque around your hips than your knees, meaning the hip extensors get worked more (ie, glutes/hams).

I find that performing one legged lunges with dumbbells in hands works well. I recommend using the heaviest weight you can manage for 6 reps or more. If you want to put bulk on the glutes focus in on doing power deadlifts and squats as well.
Here's how I perform one legged lunges. I use a bench (bolted to the floor) where I place the foot of my leg that will stay behind me to stabilize me as I remain lunged with the opposite leg on the floor. I go down to the point where my upper leg is parrallel to the floor, and then raise it back up and then repeat again. I just do one leg for however many reps I can manage and then alternate legs and then finish up with the other leg. Hope this helps. For some reason elevating the stabilizing leg puts more emphasis on the glutes, makes it more effective. Try it!

chicagobuffedbod said:
I find that performing one legged lunges with dumbbells in hands works well. I recommend using the heaviest weight you can manage for 6 reps or more. If you want to put bulk on the glutes focus in on doing power deadlifts and squats as well.
Here's how I perform one legged lunges. I use a bench (bolted to the floor) where I place the foot of my leg that will stay behind me to stabilize me as I remain lunged with the opposite leg on the floor. I go down to the point where my upper leg is parrallel to the floor, and then raise it back up and then repeat again. I just do one leg for however many reps I can manage and then alternate legs and then finish up with the other leg. Hope this helps. For some reason elevating the stabilizing leg puts more emphasis on the glutes, makes it more effective. Try it!

Those are one-leg squats. Lunges require lungeing, LOL! Real lunges are a good hamstring exercise though.

The lower you squat the more you involve your glutes and hams. I would recommend going into a full squat (ass to the floor). In order to do so, position your kness to push out above your feet. I don't mean this in the sense that you will want your knees to come past your toes, but that the direction your kness will point should be the same direction that your feet will (open your feet to about a 30 degree angle. this will get your hips into it and allow you to dip into the hole and really hit your glutes. This thing says your quads are the primary target, but I really feel it in my butt:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

cherylynn said:
I do squats w/dumbells (about 20 lbs) but I mainly feel it in my quads. And I go as low as I can, or should.
I'd like to feel some burn in the rump!
Thanks! ;)

My dear there are many ways to get a burn in the rump!!! ;)

I'm thinking to use more weight would be best. But, not with the dumbells...i'm thinking that would be awkward. Maybe I should invest in a barbell???? whaddya think?

squats- the wider the stance- the more you hit glutes. Narrow stance more quads. And I agree w/the poster that recommended full squats (at least to below parellel if you cant get to the floor :)

Top Bottom