Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what is the right age to start lifting

890polo

Bros, what's the minimum age to start developing muscle lifting weights, my kid is 14 and he obsessed with it, I wonder if lifting at a very young age can cause stunt his growth. ANy restrictions on excersises he should be doing?

It is perfectly healthy for children to lift weights. I am not sure where that myth came from that lifting weights will stunt a child's growth but it has no scientific background behind it at all. I think because a lot of bodybuilders are short people associated weight lifting with preventing growth? I am not sure.

I started lifting weights at the age of 12. I am 6'1 so it obviously didn't effect my growth.

A lot of studies have shown that any muscle you develop before you turn 18, you will keep for the rest of your life.

I 100% encourage children to lift weights. They obviously shouldn't be squatting 1 rep maxes but training in a 10-15 rep range is perfectly healthy and a great idea!

If your kids are interested in lifting weights, I encourage you to take them under your wing and support their interest. Let them workout with you and teach them proper form and technique. It'll keep them out of trouble. I never got into drugs in high school because I was so focused on athletics and sports.

All my friends who didn't play sports ended up getting into drugs.

Bros, what's the minimum age to start developing muscle lifting weights, my kid is 14 and he obsessed with it, I wonder if lifting at a very young age can cause stunt his growth. ANy restrictions on excersises he should be doing?

At such age I would say more optimal is to do something like gymnastics or anything that provides more flexibility, mobility and performance.

At the age of 15-17, when hormones start to peak, it would be the most efficient to start lifting to gain muscle

i coached weight lifting and parents wouldn't want their kids lifting weights for all kinds of stupid reasons

contact sports are far far far more dangerous.. weight training is extremely safe and it will strengthen bones and increase self esteem. the nice thing about it is that it doesn't matter how good or bad your genetics are, you can still lift weights and benefit.

I think that 13 is the age kids should start lifting weights.. he should get in with his weightlifting team at school. if he only weight lifts in high school and doesn't do other sports he will leave high school far healthier trust me

I had all my injuries as a kid from soccer, football, basketball, and other contact sports. never once got injured weight training.

and the myth that weight training stunts growth.. there should be a law put into place that anyone who says that nonsense should get punched in the mouth for their ignorance. these are the same people who are okay with their kids playing football or hockey and breaking bones which actually do stunt growth

I would have no issues with your 14 year old training. I would say 12-13 is a good age to start learning how to train. They do not need to be pushing heavy weight but learning the basics and doing compound lifts.

I have started lifting when I was 13 years old, and never had any problems at all. I guess that what matters the most here is the correct approach to training, rather than age itself. If you train like an idiot, you may as well hurt yourself even when your body is fully developed already. So he can train, just make sure he does so under the surveilance of someone with a lot of experience, and don't let him be a hero.

It's not contraindicated at 14, although it's highly recommended that the kid's training is supervised by a trained professional at all times.

Top Bottom