Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what is the purpose of incline dumbell curls?

I think it has two purposes

1.Maintain a strict movement

2.To work the biceps through a full range of motion(other exercises can get sloppy in the later reps)

its still possible to use your delts to cheat a few up. i like them alot. just something different. i like doin palms up through the whole motion with no twisting, i think i can use more weight or do more reps that way.

puts the bis in the stretch position, following that up with preachers(which is more of a contracted position) kills my bis

I always thought the angle allowed you to lift more weight. Same principle as bending back when doing standing BB curls. It gets you past that middle sticking point where the weight is furthest away from your body.

stretch position. keep elbows behind the line of the body. very good to isolate biceps without excessive delt involvement. good to vary incline.

audiophyle said:
I always thought the angle allowed you to lift more weight. Same principle as bending back when doing standing BB curls. It gets you past that middle sticking point where the weight is furthest away from your body.

bringing your elbows behind your body on the incline makes the movement much harder, at least it should. plus, as others mentioned, your bi's are in a stretched position and you isolate the biceps better. the key to getting the most out of the movement is to keep your upper arm perpendicular to the floor while curling, and not bring the elbows forward, which will make it easier but take emphasis off the bi's. this is how it differs from just bending back.

young guns said:
bringing your elbows behind your body on the incline makes the movement much harder, at least it should.

Exactly.

Try to do barbell curls with your back and elbows against a wall. You'll probably struggle to move 80-85% of your usual work set poundages.

That's essentially what you're doing in an incline curl: with your elbows so far behind you, it's much harder to curl the same weights (if you can at all...I can barely incline curl 60 pounders, but I can do a few strict reps with 70's in a regular standing DB curl).

guldukat said:
Exactly.

Try to do barbell curls with your back and elbows against a wall. You'll probably struggle to move 80-85% of your usual work set poundages.

That's essentially what you're doing in an incline curl: with your elbows so far behind you, it's much harder to curl the same weights (if you can at all...I can barely incline curl 60 pounders, but I can do a few strict reps with 70's in a regular standing DB curl).

haha thanks for crushing my ego - "barely curl 60 pounders". i thought i was doing good with 45's at one point, but now i'm weak thanks to mono and 2 months of no lifting, and would probably have to settle for 35's.

but i agree, for me standing dbell curls are much easier than inclines.

That makes sence. I was thinking if you kept your elbows by your sides but I guess you wouldnt be able to do that with heavy weights ;)

Top Bottom