Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What programs do you do before/after embarking on Rippetoes/Stronglifts (please read)

Re: What programs do you do before/after embarking on Rippetoes/Stronglifts (please r

Sorry for the late reply guys. I will do Rippetoes because I asked the same question on Bodyspace and I know Rippetoes works even when you don't do it properly so if I do do it properly it should work better.

I am easily 18% bodyfat and am most likely over 20%. Can't do a chin up or dip and can do 20-30 push ups in kickboxing/wrestling class (when we have to do them quickly, I am lucky to get 20-more like 10 to 15!).
I have been kickboxing on-and-off since 2005 but since April I switched to wrestling and judo since I was not getting anywhere in kickboxing competition (couldn't get over getting hit in the ribs or on the nose!).Classes are 2 hours each and I do both classes on Sunday (morning for wrestling,evening for judo).

In wrestling class we do a lot of conditioning exercises e.g. fireman carries to squats, bodyslam lifts, explosive press ups (e.g. to his tempo),wrestler's bridges and flipping legs to side while staying in bridge; I have trouble staying in the bridge and can't lift my opponent up).We also mess about with weight plates near the end e.g. grabbing a 25/35lb Olympic Plate and doing Clean and Press, Standing Incline Press, Overhead Press, Rows, Squats and (not always) Trunk Twists,Steering Wheels and Tricep Extensions- all of these are for 10-20 reps and done quickly.

I will NOT be doing Wrestling while on Rippetoes-I want to build strength and size for it and look better overall. I will however, maintain my skills with Japanese Ju Jitsu (I am doing wrestling/judo at University and JJ at home where I will be doing Rippetoes). The Ju Jitsu will be my cardio (a one hour session a week) and I will also be walking back home from the gym (a mile-mile and a half walk).

I have 15 weeks to do this. I will HAVE TO change some things in Rippetoes:

A) No power cages/racks in the local gyms so Zercher squats will have to replace back Squats and dumbbell bench press has to replace barbell bench press-no spotter for bench press or squats
*is there anything better than Zerchers as an alternative to Back Squats? All I can think of are Barbell Hack Squats (too similar to Deadlifts) or the Sxxxh Machine (Rippetoes hates it so much I had to censor it).

B) Can not afford microplates for dumbbells (only using them for bench press) so am thinking of buying 2.5lb wrist weights when I am supposed to be adding 5lbs a week.
*how do I program dumbbells e.g. how heavy do I start on it (when does form breakdown/speed slow?)
*I have both gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia-I have swelling and fat- will the flat benching make it worse and should I try incline instead (most people say stick to flat benching and clean up my diet-what's your opinion?)

C) Dropping barbell is a big no-no in the gym so will have to replace Power Clean with Pendlay Rows

So the edited version of Rippetoes will be:

A

3x5 Zercher Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
(added week 3) 2x Dips (6-10) * will have to be on assisted dip machine
(1x week 1, 2x week 2, 3x week 3 onwards) Leg Raises (6-10)

B

3x5 Zercher Squat
3x5 Standing Overhead Press
3x5 Pendlay Rows
(added week 3) 2x Chins (6-10) *will have to be on assisted chin machine/lat pulldown
(1x week 1, 2x week 2, 3x week 3 onwards) Leg Raises (6-10)

and added to the last workout of the week in week 7:

2x 8-12 Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
2x 8-12 Barbell Bicep Curls

Top Bottom