Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What programs do you do before/after embarking on Rippetoes/Stronglifts (please read)

ronki23

What programs do you do before/after embarking on Rippetoes/Stronglifts type programs
Hey, i'm going to start listening to peoples' opinions now and stop being so stubborn about working out. Just need some advice.

Backstory

I've tried lots of programs: Bruce Lee's Overall Muscularity Program, Mike Mentzer's HIT, 6-8 exercises per workout with 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps, 6-8 exercises per workout with 3-5 sets of 6-10 reps, whole-body isometric workouts, 3-5 sets of whole-body routine bodyweight exercises (e.g. push ups, handstands,wall squats and bodyweight squats, hanging of chin bar),etc. Generally I trained 3-4x a week (with the exception of HIT) and hit bodyparts on different days.
Cardio ranged from: kickboxing for 1-2 hours a session,2x a week circuit training for martial arts 2x a week, 15-20 minute jogs (treadmills to begin with, normal roads after), HIIT.
When I bulked I ate 1-1.5g protein per pound lean bodyweight,1.5-2g carbs per pound lean bodyweight and 0.375g fat per pound lean bodyweight. When I cut it was a little more protein (1.25-1.5+, 0.75-1g and 0.375g OR ketosis)

What I have experienced is that Rippetoes/ doing 3-5 sets of 5 with the basic mass building movements and 2x a week with only chins/dips for triceps and ab exercises was best. I added mass and strength more than any of the above and noticeably too.

What I want to know

A. If you are 20%+ bodyfat do you cut to <20% first or go all the way to 15%? At which point should one cut before bulking?

B. To get used to good form/decrease injury, do you do 3-5 sets of 6+ reps for 6-8 exercises (or similar beginner bodybuilding routines) BEFORE doing programs like the SS or Stronglifts?

C. Do you do beginner bodybuilding routines on a cut/ketosis?

D. At which point do you start creating your own workouts with accessory exercises OR using the workouts found in magazines like M&F and Musclemag?

When I created my own workouts with these exercises (obviously not on same day):

Quote:
Flyes, Wide Grip Pulldowns/Cable Rows,Bicep/Incline/Concentration Curls, Tricep Extensions/Pushdowns, Shoulders,Pullovers, Shrugs,Wrist Curls/Reverse Wrist Curls, and Ab Moves
I added srength and size on paper but I was told to stick to the basics, at which point do you add the others and how do you know what to add?

E. Bodyweight exercises and SUSPENSION TRAINERS- when do you start working out with these?

F. Advanced training-mainly Mentzer/Yates High Intensity Training and/or HIT. What is Mark Rippetoes/most joint bodybuilder-strongmen's view on this? Has anyone gone from building a foundation on Rippeotoes/Stonglifts to using HIT or Isometrics?

G. How do you know you are progressing? Many-a-times I have come back and put progress pics up stating how I added pounds to my lifts, 1-1.5" on most bodyparts and how I have added pounds while keeping bodyfat at a constant/a little more-people say it appears I have not made progress.

Not sure if this is relevant or not but I love martial arts training-did kickboxing on-and-off since 2005 and have done 8 competitons-light continuos and pointfighting. Got to belt #5 out of 10 (blue) and just kinda gave up because I only won 3 pointfighting matches and 1 continuos and the fact I couldn't get over getting hit on the nose or ribs. I am doing Judo and Wrestling now at University for 2 hours a session,1 session a week per style (do 1 hour Ju Jitsu session a week when back home-have done <25 hours of Ju Jitsu before I started Judo/Wrestling last week).

We do a lot of conditioning in Wrestling-does that count as weight training since (in the lesson for over 30 mins of 2 hour sessions) we do: wrestlers' bridge,fireman carries,push ups (various variations),squats (various variations),picking up people from the ground and doing standing presses (upward and outward);rows and squats with Olympic plates.

In Kickboxing/Judo/Ju Jitsu we do push ups/sit ups/ squats/ various bodyweight exercises in the lesson at the start-would it affect the outcome of your gains if bodybuilding with weights too (the Judo/Jitsu and Kickboxing we generally do a set number when Sensei says OR we do static holds/variations in angles or tempo-generally only one set per exercise or as fast as possible or in a circuit/descending reps if there's more than one set)?????

Re: What programs do you do before/after embarking on Rippetoes/Stronglifts (please r

op your over thinking things . diet down slowly (half a lb to 1lb max till youre about 10%) to keep the muscle/strength youve got then start a clean/slow bulk . pick a programme SL 5x5 or starting strength n stick with it to for as long as you need until you can squat 1.5 x your bw for 5/6 good deep reps , dl 2 x your bw for 5/6 reps n do chins for 5/6 reps with 30/40% of your bw hanging between your legs . once you hit those goals youll have a good strong base of strength/muscle and you can switch to a more BB type routine/split . dont listen to other people if your lifts are increasing and the scale is moving up youre improving . if youve got about 20% bf it will be hard to notice the changes until you diet down a bit . when dieting what ever training you did to build the muscle youve got keep the training and intensity (weight on the bar) the same maybe just decrease the frequency of training slightly, if you get it right you should't lose strength/ muscle while dieting .

Re: What programs do you do before/after embarking on Rippetoes/Stronglifts (please r

How you go from 20 to 10?? sorry to jump in i am 20, i am eating clean, tuna,egg whites, chicken, fish, almonds, apples etc no alcohol no sodas no sugar, no staying out late, i train 3-4 per week my body changed surely i see the v shape on my waist but the f***** fat is there the same!!!!!

sorry again for jumping in but i am real frustrated hehehe

How you go from 20 to 10?? sorry to jump in i am 20, i am eating clean, tuna,egg whites, chicken, fish, almonds, apples etc no alcohol no sodas no sugar, no staying out late, i train 3-4 per week my body changed surely i see the v shape on my waist but the f***** fat is there the same!!!!!

sorry again for jumping in but i am real frustrated hehehe

How long have you been doing the diet/training, how many lbs do you lose a week, your weight and bodyfat percentage,calories in,etc?

everybody shoulld take some time ( a few months at least ) to learn and have a basic understanding of basic bodybuilding nutrition . all the time you spend in the gym you are training and learning well you should apply the same sort of time and effort when learning about diet and nutrition/cookiing so that when you write down your diet you know almost exactly how many cals and different macs there . i always say that trying to build muscle/lose fat without this type of knowledge is like try to knock one out while wearing boxing gloves

everybody shoulld take some time ( a few months at least ) to learn and have a basic understanding of basic bodybuilding nutrition . all the time you spend in the gym you are training and learning well you should apply the same sort of time and effort when learning about diet and nutrition/cookiing so that when you write down your diet you know almost exactly how many cals and different macs there . i always say that trying to build muscle/lose fat without this type of knowledge is like try to knock one out while wearing boxing gloves

Boxing gloves hurt the opponent less but redirect force to the brain so you're MORE likely to get knocked out LOL

Ok, apart from Rippetoes, is Stronglifts an alternative? What about the various 5x5s-which is best?

At which point can one create their own workout? When can you create your own workout that add exercises for 'show' muscles e.g. exercises for the more 'showier' muscles e.g. isolation arm exercises,calf raises and ab work??? When does one go into higher rep workouts (6-10)-when cutting?

The reason I am asking this is that no program works forever or everyone would be like Ronnie Coleman(big,strong and ripped)! When does one learn enough to move on/how do they know Rippetoes/Stronglifts won't work anymore-is there X amount of resets when you think that it's time to shake things up?

I am thinking of dieting down to 15% bodyfat or below (because i'm pretty fat) with a more conventional BBing routine- I only have 3 months-after month 3 i'll be back at University and I will also be doing Wrestling/Judo for 5-6 hours a week- won't have the time or money for a gym membership so the conditioning/training from Wresling/Judo will be my exercise.

When I graduate, I will give priority to bulking up with one of these routines- how long do you need to reap the most benefit from SS/ Stronglifts/ 5x5

one of the reasons this thread is on- should I do Rippetoes in these 3 months or should I cut?
Look, the first Wrestling/Judo comps will be on in October and i'm pretty heavy atm-185lbs. I don't know what I should do- do I dare add MORE weight from Rippetoes gains OR should I cut and do a beginner's bodybuilding routine to drop some weight so I don't have to wrestle with the big guys? Note that when I mean beginners bodybuilding I am considering full-body bodyweight workouts because bodyweight exercise>>weights with sub-bodyweight poundages on compound lifts.

Should I do 3 months Rippetoes or just cut for the competitions and to just reduce my overall bodyfat?

Should I do 3 months Rippetoes or just cut for the competitions and to just reduce my overall bodyfat?

Why are these two mutually exclusive? You can do Rippetoes, add strength and cut bodyfat at the same time.

one of the reasons this thread is on- should I do Rippetoes in these 3 months or should I cut?
Look, the first Wrestling/Judo comps will be on in October and i'm pretty heavy atm-185lbs. I don't know what I should do- do I dare add MORE weight from Rippetoes gains OR should I cut and do a beginner's bodybuilding routine to drop some weight so I don't have to wrestle with the big guys? Note that when I mean beginners bodybuilding I am considering full-body bodyweight workouts because bodyweight exercise>>weights with sub-bodyweight poundages on compound lifts.

as i posted earlier (if i were you) diet down slowly whilst using the same programme you used whilst bulking to keep what muscle/strength youve got then pick a strength programme until you reach the goals i listed (when you reach them youll know you have a decent amount of muscle ) and then change to a more BB type programme/split . ive been 20% bf and it sucks .

It sucks a lot to be 20 eat clean and again no signs of any ab showing.. ok your body look better and everything, the stomach flat but no visible ab

Top Bottom