Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What point do you use belts/straps etc

rediculus

I know it says don't use straps or weight belts if at all possible. First attempt at 315 a 7 weeks ago I was NOT ready and was still feeling out my squat max (stop laughing I know it's weak but whatev gotta start somewhere I can still use all natty as an excuse...sorta...not a good excuse but)

anyways I'd say I was stopping and pushing up 4 inches above parallel. why? it was Fuggin heavy but I could move the weight. So I wanted to at least get as much as I could. Rep 1 rep 2 rep 3 BING good form parallel dizzy falling forward smash into the squat rack.

I rack the weight and have a little pinch feeling in my back. I Finish out squats yada yada and...yep I threw my back out. To the chiropracter I go about 4 weeks later when anything I can do just aint working. He straightens me up I continue to carefully self align.

That took a grip of time out of my training and OBVIOUSLY should have had a belt on. But...When you are doing squats and deadlifts when are you guys putting on the belt? And don't say a lifting belt is cheating lol.

Well I use those neoprene belts that make me lose water of the waist. Other than that I only use a support belt when I'm trying to max out, you shouldn't rely much on those because it weakens you core if you use it all the time.

on a 5x5 routine my last sets are 295x5 315x5 315x5...well that's what it was last week...so I THINK I am doing 5 sets of 315 next week? Which is a new PR by almost well 20lbs or more after my back injury....FYI The dermatherm stack thing from PP...yah....It made a visable difference within 2 to 3 days which I assume is water weight. Just sitting here in the house I am sweating with the AC on. well my arms chest and stomach and lower back are. Kinda wierd

Every time you use straps, god kills a kitten....

I use straps on most of my "work" sets. I use a belt on all of my back thickness (rows, Dls) and Squat work sets. I do not use them on warm ups. I will completely ditch the straps when I start the 5x5. I will use the belt for some squating and DLing though.

I am in a similar spot. Just had alot of chiro work done and it fixed me up SO good. I am being cautious now and using a belt after 3 plates on all core lifts. I squat and pull around 455 no belt but its not worth the extra core strength fucking my back up again. Just make sure you are training your core on other days if your gonna belt up alot. Sidebends, crunches (weighted), etc.

acutally I have found a couple exersizes that I am "perfecting" that put a shit ton of pressure on core muscles. (other than the obvious 6 pack) so obliques etc. Growing up my coach always said squat or deadlift anything you think is heavy you better have a belt on.

Straps I am not a huge fan of but at the same time. I am realistic in knowing my fingers can't handle the same load my legs and back can. So to really PUSH where my primary lifts can go. Gotta use a strap on!! er I mean gotta strap it!!

and anyone see those dumbell hooks CEO linked up in my other thread? (the fatboy thread about how high bodyfat folks like me shouldn't take steroids but the truth is that's not so much the truth) Anyone have opinions about those? hang them from a bar you can get under your dumbells and just wreack HAVOC on your pecs and shoulders.

I use a belt on my last set of squats on my 5 x 5 routine. Just started that this week. After due consideration, I decided that a little extra protection is worth the extra couple of pounds it may help with. I'm almost to 300 lbs on my fourth set, so I feel like I am still lifting plenty heavy enough without the belt to continue strengthening my core. At this point, this weeks PR is my fourth set after several week's anyway.

I also use the belt on my heavy set of standing overhead presses. I do deadlifts after that, and I don't wear a belt on deads. I find that if I really struggle on my final set of OH presses it often prefatigues my lower back a good bit, which I worry about deadlifting after. My core is taking a beating on my DLs anyway, so I don't mind sparing it a little punishment on the presses.

A belt can be your friend. Using your belt while curling in the squat rack is never cool. Proper use of your belt will put more weight on the bar and your body. You are using it smartly.

I use a belt on my last set of squats on my 5 x 5 routine. Just started that this week. After due consideration, I decided that a little extra protection is worth the extra couple of pounds it may help with. I'm almost to 300 lbs on my fourth set, so I feel like I am still lifting plenty heavy enough without the belt to continue strengthening my core. At this point, this weeks PR is my fourth set after several week's anyway.

I also use the belt on my heavy set of standing overhead presses. I do deadlifts after that, and I don't wear a belt on deads. I find that if I really struggle on my final set of OH presses it often prefatigues my lower back a good bit, which I worry about deadlifting after. My core is taking a beating on my DLs anyway, so I don't mind sparing it a little punishment on the presses.

OOH dude I sooo curl in the squat rack when there's some geek wanting to put the seat in the rack so he can do dumbell rows? I'll be the dick.....I don't own a belt or wraps but lol. With my lifts all coming up to being over 315 I am far enough over my body weight that I have to start using it. It's good to know I am not OVER Using it. and yes SL I am ripping off your workout routine. It's jsut 5x5 enough to get some serious results and still enough add on's that I can still fine tune my weak links.

Top Bottom