Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what made u decide to be a power lifter?

Powerlifting57

what made u decide to be a pl over anythign else

for me it was 2 years ago at the arnold i was watching the pl comp. and said to myself i wil b that strong someday!!the fact that y woudl i give a fuck what i look like i wanted to be huge and the only way to be huge and strong is!! TO LIFT BIG AND EAT BIG!!!

what opened my eyes to it?
I previously had competed as a bodybuilder. Coming off of my dieting, I knew I would hit an anabolic rebound, so I wanted to maximize my efforts for muscle gain. I got into a number of discussions on the training board which questioned my education level, so i dug deeper and started reading up on training principles for OLY and PL'ers. I made a few PR's training for strength, and hung up my "grape smugglers" once and for all to train for strength and power.

After 10+ years of bodybuilding (maybe 13 years?) I needed a new challenge. You can only do something for so long before you start to wonder what else is out there. I wasnt "burned out", but I wanted it to be exciting again.
I had broken all the plateaus of body weight that I desired (200lbs, 250lbs, 275lbs, 300lbs) and needed a new challenge. As it turned out, powerlifting was a whole new set of challenges that gave me what I needed.

I want to revisit this post, as I had a moment yesterday to rethink it.
Powerlifting gives me the opprotunity to actual feel progress occur, as opposed to just going in, day after day - week after week and "going through the motions".
After a while it almost becomes mind numbing...
Bicep curls, first set- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
second set - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
third set - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
And what do I get from it? A pump? Hopefully some growth?

Powerlifting gives me immediate gratification, I broke my PR on squatting yesterday and hit 705. That is something very real that I can appreciate and even talk about with others.
No matter if you train or not, people appreciate a 700lb squat, or a 500lb bench or whatever... but somehow people just dont seem interested in the fact that I would add an extra set of side raises in, or managed to get 5000 calories in the other day (well, maybe fat people would find the 5000 calorie thing interesting :)).

For me, I just had to try powerlifting and I was hooked.

lmao at the fat person thing and nice job on the 705 squat!!! Same here iw as hookd i used to do the hole bodybuilding thing and thought hmm gain strength and size at the same time ill take pl!!!

In my youth I was a champion long distance runner and used to race at about 155 lbs. I became a steeplechaser and was ranked 4th nation as a submaster in 1992 but my weight began creeping up in my 40's and I found myself at about 240 with a 44 inch waist at age 49. That was 2 yrs ago and I now weigh about 223 but my waist is 36 inches and I hit a 345lb bench a couple months ago and it is like I have this whole new sport to explore and I love the shit out of lifting heavy and eating a lot of animals. I want a 400 lb squat and pull this summer. I got 365 on both those in meets so for an old dude at 51 it gave me a whole new deal. I just love it.

A gym I use to visit was always full. The only free equipment was the squat rack. (except when somebody was dunig 100sets of 100rep hanging knee raises.)

Top Bottom