Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What do you guys thinkof this strongman routine?

growin'

What do you guys thinkof this strongman routine? It is based on a variation of a guy named squatter's that posts at the Iron Playground:

Monday
1. power cleans one top end set of 1, 2, or 3 reps for max weight.
2. breathing squats (20 repper)
3. push press
4. Seated Military Press
5. side raise
6. front raise
7. Dips
8. Lying Triceps Extension

Tuesday

1. snatch same as clean
2. chins 5x5 weighted
3. Captains of Crush Grippers
4. Fat Bar Holds
5. Plate Pinches
6. Wrist Rollers

Thursday

1. full clean medium weight for 2 reps
2. dead lockouts from just below knee just singles
3. good mornings heavy 3x3
4. incline up to max 1, 2, or 3 then flush 6-12 repper

Saturday

1. Truck Pull
2. Stone Carry
3. Barrel Press
4. Crucifix

your saturday looks pretty badass........i don't know shit about strongman training but lookslike a hell of a workout..............:D

Hmmm..you training for a contest in particular? You should base your training around what events you will be doing in a contest. I suggest deadlifts, overhead presses, box squats, and tons of events. Be careful...you can easily overtrain with strongman...but your events that you have chose aren't too taxing to the body.

B True

I'm both a powerlifter as well as a strongman. The training routine that I follow at any particular time depends on what I'm preparing for. It's like B True said, you've gotta train for something in particular.

When training for a strongman contest I would typically do one week of pure Westside with a very small amount of events training thrown in. The second week consists of one day of basic bodybuilding style upper body training and one day for the lower body. The rest of the second week is used to do lots of events training.

By training this way, you get in a good power base (Westside) and also get in enough events training without having to worry about overtraining.

I think your routine looks ok, but it seems to lack a little bit in basic power movements which, after all, is the basis on which all strength sports are built. For instance, I don't see any box squats in your routine. Also, you should do much more events training than what you've got listed here.

I don't have any competitions coming up. This will be the first time I incorporate strongman work into my routine. I guess the stregth work I have in there is more OL than PL. Perhaps a few more squats would help. Anything else?

Top Bottom