Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What do you consider strong?

lol thats pretty much where i am, i weigh 205

bench 315x9
squat 405x5
military 205x5
dead 475x6

its funny cuz when ur weak and u say wow if i bench 315x1 ill be so happy, now im not even happy with 9! so i also think it just depends on what ur goals are a lot because they def change with time

lol thats pretty much where i am, i weigh 205

bench 315x9
squat 405x5
military 205x5
dead 475x6

its funny cuz when ur weak and u say wow if i bench 315x1 ill be so happy, now im not even happy with 9! so i also think it just depends on what ur goals are a lot because they def change with time

I finally pressed 315 a few months back. I haven't benched since lol

Standing press, DB presses, dips, and suspended push ups are all I do for upper push anymore. My shoulders and elbows have never felt better.

I finally pressed 315 a few months back. I haven't benched since lol

Standing press, DB presses, dips, and suspended push ups are all I do for upper push anymore. My shoulders and elbows have never felt better.

thats good bro since u were saying ur not really a bencher?? GOOD SHIT!

i hope i never get old and have joint problems. hopefully by then theyll have some anti-aging stuff you can take so i can be 21 my whole life! :biggrin:

I think it depends on your weight. If you're 180 and benching in excess of 315 and can squat/dead 405 then obviously you're pretty strong. However, those numbers aren't as impressive if you're 240.

I'm happy with my stats, and would respectfully call it strong. I'm 185, and work out with 315, and 1RM on the bench is probably in the 340 range if my wrists cooperate.

Charles

Is the bench press something that can always progress in terms of weight lifted?? Or do you think certain people just tend to have weaker lifting ability in this lift due to genetics and will always be limited by that? Specifically for me my bench press is my weakest lift not just in weight but in confidence and feeling when I am doing them as opposed to my squat and deadlifts.

I'll chime in on this one...

Quantifying strength is sort of a difficult thing. Although very subjective, the real measurement for someone is what can they do with that strength.

To me functional strength is the top of the food chain. If you can deadlift 500 lbs but have to use straps to do it, then it doesn't really mean that much other than you have a strong erector chain. Just hope you don't actually have to use your hands to puck something up that weighs 500 lbs since because your use of straps has probably negated any grip strength you might have gained. So maybe a measurement of what you can do outside of the gym is more appropriate? Can you work harder than the next guy? Can you move big rocks out of your garden? Can you handle that half barrel for the party solo, or do you need help getting it in the house? What about helping push a buddy's car out of the ditch? See where I am going with this?

Then there is the type of strength issue. Are you explosively strong, or do you have better static strength? For example, I can't power clean shit. On an axle press I can get maybe 230 up, but after that I have to use a continental clean (some of that has to do with bar thickness, lack of whip, and that an axle doesn't rotate like an oly bar). Give me a log, however, and I can clean and jerk into the mid to upper 3's, and I can get nearly 300 with a concrete block. The point here is that the method of action of the lift can go a long way in determining strength.

But lets make this a little more simple. If I were pressed to give an opinion on what constitutes say a base intermediate lifter using gym lifts as the metric, I would probably go with something like this (using only a belt and chalk - no straps or suits):

1) 2x bw below parallel squat
2) 1.5x bw bench (with a pause on the chest - no bouncing)
3) bw overhead press
4) 2.5x bw deadlift with no grip aid other than chalk

I say all of that with this caveat. It all depends on how you look doing those lifts. If, for example, to get the 1.5x bw bench you look like a break dancer on the bench and don't have control of the weight, you need to do some more work. Same goes for hitching the dead, or having your form go to shit on the squat.

B-

So my 455 goodmorning/squat/behind the neck push thrust doesn't count? Even if I hit depth?

:D

I love you Blazer.

But...being strong is a 300 pound man on a 14 hour flight with a 2 year old, both cranky and sleep deprived, at 36,000 feet, in the airplane bathroom changing a poopy diaper at 3 in the morning.

I have a picture.

Top Bottom