Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What can I do to increase leg strength.

Guvna

My squat sucks; I will just say that now.

My legs, like my chest, get burned out very quickly. For this reason, legs only get about 13 total sets (2 squats, 2 leg press, 2 extension, 2 lying curl, 2 standing curl, 2 standing calf raises, and 1 seated).

I find it pathetic, because my legs seem like they just do not want to get stronger. My squats suck. I usually do 245 x 8 and 265 x 6, both ATF, and they feel pretty damn hard. I don't ever try to max. Any suggestions? Any more info you all need?

BTW, my bench is close to 400, and I can dead over 500.

A really good squat program is contained within the 5x5 program. I don't think anyone has done that program and not had their squat shoot up pretty significantly. You could do the whole 5x5 program or build something around the squat base - which is probably not a great idea if you aren't pretty comfortable with periodized program design. Take a look here: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4764723&postcount=381

More info on this and other stuff here: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

MadCow speaks the truth. I am just now finishing up only my second week of his 5x5 program and I truly can't believe the strength I have already gained. For example I had been doing ATF squats for the last 3 months or so and couldn't get past 315x3 no matter what I tried. So I start the 5x5 program 2 weeks ago and on my Thursday squat session I did 295x5 for 4 sets and just for fun cranked it up to 315x5 on my final set just to see if I could do it. It really is a great program, just believe in it and don't f$ck around with it too much....just have faith. What have you go to lose?

Train the legs with squats. You'll increase leg strength. It takes effort, but the general premise is simple. Nothing beats hard work.

Leg extensions and Leg curls are a waste of time. Squats, sissy squats, DL, SSDL and leg presses will be a good place to start

You're doing 13 sets, but the problem is that 11 of them are worthless fluff exercises. Read the link Madcow posted. Your leg workouts should be centered around squats and gradually increasing the weights you're lifting.

Increasing leg strength can often mean not forgetting to hit those hams hard- the "other half" of your upper legs. It's true that leg curls alone don't cut it. Rotate them or substitute with glute-ham rasises and stiff-leg deadlifts. Also good-mornings can be useful. Although it's a back exercise they also best work the tie-ins between your glute-ham complex and your lower back and core. You'll need that extra support wen your weights increase.

Top Bottom