Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What age should you start your kids with weight training?

curling

I have heard if they are too young it will hurt their bone growth is that true? If not could you start making them lift like we do at 9?

Curling, when a heavy load is place on the muscle it is also place on the bone. Since the bone can becoe denser to compensate for this external stress, it is not a good idea to have your kids lift weights, especially heavy loads since this will cause the metaphyseal to prematurely fuse. But bone also needs stimulus in order to become healthy and grow. So try not to have your kids lifting weights untill after puberty, but have them play sports. Sports uses one's own body weight, so his bones won't be subject to weights they can't handle.... I hope this helps....

Thanks so like 13 or 14 is alright? I mean the coaches made me train with weights when I was in the 7th grade. Did they screw up my bones. There is a couple of coaches that I would like to sue.

I figure right after they hit their growth spurt, unfortunately mine was up to 5'7-8" . Try aroung 15 and make sure the doctors tell you how much growing he has left since they will be able to monitor the growth plates. They might have stunted your growth i couldn't tell you but make sure your kid squats very lightly untill he's done growing since the back is very fragile at the younger age, and I think I remember my professor saying the legs finish growing the last..... so leg excercise should be a minimum let him do sprints.

Lord_Suston said:
I figure right after they hit their growth spurt, unfortunately mine was up to 5'7-8" . Try aroung 15 and make sure the doctors tell you how much growing he has left since they will be able to monitor the growth plates. They might have stunted your growth i couldn't tell you but make sure your kid squats very lightly untill he's done growing since the back is very fragile at the younger age, and I think I remember my professor saying the legs finish growing the last..... so leg excercise should be a minimum let him do sprints.

Sheesh those bastards made me do squats, neck exercises, bench everything that I do now all except you had one minute to rest between sets. I hated those coaches. I was a little sucker and they made me do machine gun drill with lineman. Just when I got off the ground they would blow that wistle and the next guy that weight 60 or 70 lbs more than me hit me. I saw those bastard coaches laughing too. But I never quit. I beat them then I said in high school screw football I will just talk to the cheerleaders while them suckers are their slave driving for a bunch wannabe atheletes that end up only being able to torture kids.

I remember this one time the coach ripped the helmet off my head with the strap on made me bear crawl to it. He got slashed tires later that day(I wasn't a Christian then)

If my parents had their way, the minimum age would be 8. When I was 13 and asked for a sega genesis they presented me with a weight bench. But to answer your question, I started at 13 and I seem to be fine now. I wasn't training heavy. Now that I look back, it allowed me to have a good base and solid techniques in place for the time when my muslces started maturing. Which helped me put on muscle quick.

curling said:
Thanks so like 13 or 14 is alright? I mean the coaches made me train with weights when I was in the 7th grade. Did they screw up my bones. There is a couple of coaches that I would like to sue.

DAMN!!! I want to have a gun now!

i wish I started that earlier!

By lifting weights EARLY in your life (before you hit 20). YOU AFFECT MYOSTATIN EXPRESSION!

speaking in easy terms: you get more muscle fibers and thus your potential increases.

No wonder hardgainer arnold got such good body.

early training + drug usage before 20 affect your muscle fiber number!

my kids will do some sort from an early age. stability, coordination balance and strength work...its called a JUNGLE GYM!!! hehe.

as for weight training, i doubt specific weight, but they will work with their bodyweight for sure. i dont want to raise uncoordinated kids, the more proprioception i can get for them, the better off they will be as adults.

and i work with some uncoordinated ass adults....must not have played outside as a kid. :D

Top Bottom