Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

At what age can kids start lifting ?

Its-Grow-Time

Hello All,

My 9 year old son asked me when he can start working out with me. I told him in a few years but honestly I have no idea on what age is right. I'm thrilled that he's interested and would be proud to see him one day pumping iron in the basement with his high school buddies. Unless of course they get bigger than good old dad and boot me out (lmao)

Does anyone know what a safe age is ?

Thanks, Bob

There have been SEVERAL peer reviewed double blind studies on children and exercising. At any age is a great time to start. Resistance training will not stop growth, nor damage epiphyseal plates, (growth plates), it has wonderful rewards. However as with anything be extra careful and conservative when helping and teaching him to lift. Obviously don't make him squat 100 pounds or some odd thing his first day. A great thing if you are worried about weight training is to do cardio with him. My dad and I use to hit punching bags together it was something fun together ya know...But i would stick to machines and light basic free weight movements. Nothing extensive.
(Example)
Chest Day
Maybe 1 set of 15 Dumbbell bench press with say 5-8 pounds. Take it slow
1 set of 15 incline machine press etc.

Keep it simple and fun and you guys will do great!

Karma to you for wanting your son to be active!!!

Also in the younger years (im not necessarily saying when he's 9) maybe you'd want him to do bodyweight stuff like pushups pullups situps etc. That way he won't try and be too aggressive with the poundages like kids like to do and hurt himself.

"There have been SEVERAL peer reviewed double blind studies on children and exercising. At any age is a great time to start. Resistance training will not stop growth, nor damage epiphyseal plates, (growth plates)"

I would really appreciate it if you could give me the links to those studies? Thanks :)

Thanks Dudes,

When my son gets back from spending the summer visiting his mom, I will start him on pushups,etc. I'm going to use my summer very wisely by eating real healthy and pump some serious iron. Not an easy thing to do during the school year being a single dad raising 2 kids.

Thanks Again,
Bob

pee wee said:
I agree with the pushups and pullups idea with a 9 year old. I would wait at least a few more years before starting weight training for him.

I agree. No need to hurry.

nsca-lift has a great article. I don't know if you need to be a member or not to view it, but anyway.

Top Bottom