Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Westside workout to get weak points???

Cubanito17

Hey guys I was thinking of changing up the normal routine some so I can strengthen up my weak points. At the moment I only compete for a pause bench and clean&jerk. Weak points are shoulders,back,lats,delts,chest, tri's seem to be strong but everything else in a bench is what's weak so NOT GOOD MY TRI'S ARE DOING MY WHOLE BENCH. Of course every 2-3 weeks I will be changing up the excercises most likely whatever is bar it will change to DB or just the complete movement. This is what it looks like:

Mon-SP bench
Dynamic bench 8X3 55%
DB Shoulder Press 4X6
Bent Over Rows 4X8
Rear delts 3X10
DB elbow out ext 3X8
Pushdowns 2X10 (100lbs)* I threw in pushdowns to help my lockout I was told if I'm weak on pushdowns I can bring it up with speed and it will help my lockout.

Tue-ME DL/SQ/Back
Powercleans 5X5 60%
Calf Raises 3X8
Goodmornings 4X6
Seated rows 4X8
Hammer curls 3X8

Thur-ME bench
Close-grip incline Xsingles(max)
Push Presses X triples
High pulls 4X6
Front raises 3X10
Cali press 3X10

Fri-SP DL/SQ
Front squats 8X2 63%
Dynamic deadlifts 8X1 63%
Leg extensions 3X8
T-Bar rowing 4X6
Pull ups 2X10
Standing wide curls 3X8

Okay, here we go!

These are my suggestions.

#1 - It is very hard for the central nervous system to receover when you workout on days back-to-back. I understand that this schedule is the only one that you can manage at this time so we will have to make do. You must cut your volume. I think you are doing too much.

#2 - I know that you feel that your shoulders and back are weaknesses but I think you are doing too much for these muscle groups.

#3 - If you can get some bands & chains and incorporate them into your training then I believe your gains will come much quicker.

#4 - You must limit your training sessions to 60-75 minutes max.

This is my recommendation:

Monday - Dynamic Effort Bench Day
Dynamic Bench Press (6-9x3 @ 50%)
Barbell Row/Dumbell Row/T-bar Row/Seated Machine Row (3x6-10)
DB Shoulder Press/Military Press/High Pulls (Hanging) (3x6-10)
DB Extension/Barbell Extension/Tate Press (3x6-10)
Pushdowns (2x6-10)

Tuesday - Maximum Effort Squat/Deadlift Day
Powercleans (work to a heavy triple)
Good-mornings/Stiff-legged Deadlifts (work to a heavy triple)
Abs - upper, lower & obliques (2x10-20 each)
Hammer Curl/Reverse Barbell Curl (3x6-10)

Thursday - Maximum Effort Bench Day
Close-grip Incline/Illegal Wides/2-3 Board Press (work to a single)
Medium-Grip Chins/Pulldowns to Upper Abs/Face Pulls (3x6-10)
Push Presses (work to a heavy triple)
5-Board Lockout/Overhead Lockout/Power Rack Lockout (3x6-10)

Friday - Dynamic Effort Squat/Deadlift Day
Low Box Squat (6x2 @ 50%)
Front Squat (3x6-10)
Speed Deadlifts (8X1 @ 60%)
Abs - upper, lower & obliques (2x10-20 each)
Standing Calf Raise/Seated Calf Raise/Toe Press (3x6-10)

Screwball put together a pretty good workout regemin, I would recommend that you follow it, although as in my other posts to you on this subject, I doubt that you could not benefit from stronger triceps. With the exception of putting triceps movement right after your bench movement, I would agree with this regemin 100 percent.

Great post Screwball,

C-ya in Big Mc.

B

Thanx man tonight I will right this down and start in not next week but the following next week I max out. And brian I believe that my tri's can always be stronger, but the reason I left tris for last like screwball was b/c I need to improve my weaker points. Which are shoulders/back/lats/delts/chest. Thanx

Anyone else agree with this????How about one of the fathers of Westside Flapwrlftr. Bob this sound good to you

Triceps???

Remember, no bench shirt in competition. So, overall raw bench strength is the emphasis. If your bench is failing at the bottom of the press then you need to work the lats, upper back and chest. Good luck!

Also, Cubanito, the sample workout I gave you is just a general guideline. Only you know which exercises work best for you. I tried to take your current training plan and manipulate it so that your muscle groups are worked systematically while keeping in mind that your competition lifts are the Bench Press (with full pause) and the Clean and Jerk. The only other suggestion I have for you is to try and get a few full reps with the Clean and Jerk. This olympic lift requires a lot of technique. Practice makes perfect! I hope others respond so that, collectively; we can all come up with a training plan that maximizes your abilities. Good luck and please provide feedback when and if you change your training.

- Screwball

Thanx man well I've been looking at it and I will post on here every 2 weeks to let you know what i've changed. Also one thing that i don't like is that I know practice makes perfect on the powerclean, but along with that overtraining it will decrease that lift. I'll post again before the end of the night exactly what I'm going to be doing. Thanx

Hey screwball I just looked over your workout and I understand you tried to match something to mine, but if you are saying that my only problem is the volume then how about I cut it down to look like:
Mon-Dynamic bench 8X3 50-55%
Bent over rows/DB rowing/Seated rows 3X8
DB shoulder press/military press/high pulls 3X8
DB elbow out/db skull crushers/cali press/tate press 3X6(heavy)
Pushdowns 2X0

Tue-ME SQ/DL
Powercleans heavy triple
Leg curls 3X8
Goodmornings heavy triple
Hammer curls/ Alernating curls/DB preacher curls 3X10

Thur-ME bench
Illegal wides/close-grip inlcine/DB press by single
Face pulls/pullups 3X6-10
Push press by triples
Rear/front/side delt raises 6X6 ( 2X6 each)
Rack lockouts/overhead lockouts 3X6-10

Fri-Dynamic SQ/DL % change every week
Low box squat 6X2 50,53,56,60%
Dynamic deadlift 8X1 60,63,66,70%
Front squat 3X6-10(weight with 10lbs more than max powerclean)
Standing calf raises/seated calf raises 3X6-10

I know it is now similiar to both mine to begin with and screwballs, but I feel these are things that I can actually do in my gym and can handle to try out for 6 weeks, til I max again and see how I liked it.

Top Bottom