Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Westside Training.. For Just Strength Or For Size And Strength? Opinions?

|ronMan

I am looking to give Westside training a shot.

My goals are 50% strength and 50% muscular development. Do you think that Westside would be a good idea or no?

Kind of funny

I think I gained about 4-5 lbs of muscle (6-7 lbs altogether)
when I started WSB ( about 1 year ago)... My waist went from a 32 to a 34 but that was due to development of spinal erectors, hams, hip flexors and thicker abs.. also may have got some tricep development.. West side trains muscles (core, posterior chain) that arent trained with normal programs. Therefore if these muscles arent developed prior to starting they will hypertrophy some. If you want a skinny waistline its not for you but if youwant a strong core, wsb is one of the best ways

I trained for BB for a couple years. I had to go through bulking and cutting phases, blahblahblah...I only looked good about 3-4 months of the year.

I switched to Westside style powerlifting. I don't know if it's the intensity, more cals burned, etc...but I have put on some serious size, and I'm leaner than I ever was as a BB while doing it.

I will be competeing in my first PL comp this Nov 30 in Daytona, and then about 12 weeks later I will do the Colorado NPC as a heavyweight BB. I can assure you that while training and dieting down for the BB comp, I will still train Westside. I think more BB's should consider how much speed and strength contribute to size. Could save alot of money on "supps."

Last edited:
I had been lifting for years and when I started training WSB I went from approximately 230 - 260. Strength gains were even more significant.

Has this program helped increase muscular size/development in all you guys?

What about thickening your waistline I have heard this happens. Etc.

Mine has pretty much stayed the same, 33" at contest weight, 34" at heavier weights.

And this is actually rather strange, as my abs and obliques get hammered four times a week. Twice directly, and twice when I throw.

It is worth mentioning that I do not carry much bodyfat, especially for a PLer.

I have always been too big through the waist. So I cannot blame it on WSB. I wear the same pants now that I wore when I was 200 lbs. Even when I was a skinny little 165 lber in college I wore 33 inch pants. I have graduated up to the 36's now. But those 3 pants sizes corresponded to 60 lbs of bodyweight increase.

I don't have any before photos to show, but this is what I look like after one year training westside strictly (there is an oxymoron) As strictly as one can train a program designed to be different for every person, that is.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xdecieverx/lst?.dir=/PL

B.

Top Bottom