Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

westside barbell is basically....

N

nclifter6feet6

is wsb basically training each muscle twice per week. like for chest on monday you have a speed day where you dont train to falure 6-8reps at 5 sets using 60 percent of max....then on friday you have a heavy day with low reps where you go to failure 2-3 reps at 5 sets using about 85 percent of max. does this sound right. and also using a big variety of excersises. could i apply this to all excersises. does this sound like a good routine?

my goal isnt to be a power lifter in only 3 lifts but be a very strong bodybuilder in all areas in all excersises. im thinking about using this method for everyexcersise i do.

Last edited:
Instead of Heavy/Light...You should think Fast/Slow. If genuinely want to know about WSB Training go to...

www.elitefts.com

Check out the articles section. Then post all the questions you want.

...and powerlifters don't train chest. But yes, you train the muscles in a given LIFT twice a week. Once for strength, and once for speed.

Last edited:
nclifter6feet6 said:
a speed day where you dont train to falure 6-8reps at 5 sets using 60 percent of max....then on friday you have a heavy day with low reps where you go to failure 2-3 reps at 5 sets using about 85 percent of max.

That doesn't sound WSB to me...where did you read that?

B True

i read that wsb site but it seems the main principle of wsb is to have one speed day and one max effort day. oh and i see where on speed day you do from 12 -20 repetions according to what dave tate says i think he said like 6 sets for speed day. and i assume 6 sets for heavy day at 1-3 reps

i have never trained for speed so im shure ill get pretty good gains hopefully

nclifter6feet6 said:
i read that wsb site but it seems the main principle of wsb is to have one speed day and one max effort day. oh and i see where on speed day you do from 12 -20 repetions according to what dave tate says i think he said like 6 sets for speed day. and i assume 6 sets for heavy day at 1-3 reps

ME Days you start with the bar, and work up to a max single on one exercise...there are no set number of sets.

On DE Days
Squat: 8 sets of 2 @ 47-53%

Bench: 8 set of 3 @ 45-50%

Think you need to read the articles again.

http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_129per.html

http://www.testosterone.net/html/133per.html

http://www.testosterone.net/articles/158bench.html

This is one class where you can't get out of doing the home work.

SUNDAY SPEED BENCH:

1) 8 sets of 3 reps at 60%. Vary your grips. All of them inside the rings to emphasize the triceps.

2) Bar extension or Presses: Choose between JM Press, Bar Extensions to nose or throat, Partial overhead presses, or rack lockouts. Work up to 3 heavy sets of 3-5

3) Dumbell Extension; Choose between DB extensions 6-7 sets of 8, or Elbows out extensions 4 sets of 10

4) Lat Rows; Choose between Chest Supported Rows, Bent Over Rows (overhand or underhand grip), DB rows. Sets and reps will depend on what works for you.

5) Delts; Choose some form of raise (rear delts are very important) or face pulls can be an effective exercise for the rear delts and upper back.

MONDAY MAX EFFORT SQUAT/DL WORKOUT

1) Choose 1 Max Effort Exercise. Some form of Good Morning, Deadlift, or Low Box Squat. Deadlifts and Squats should be worked up to a max single. Good mornings are best worked up to a max triple. 70% of the time use a good morning as your max effort exercise, 20% use a low box squat, and 10% use a Deadlift variation.

2)Glut/ Ham raises or CV deadlifts

3) Pull Throughs

4) Reverse Hypers 4 sets of 8-10

5) Ab work; Standing cable abs, straight legged situps

WEDNESDAY MAX EFFORT BENCH WORKOUT

1) Choose 1 Max Effort Exercise. Floor Press, 2Board Press, 3Board Press, 4Board Press, Reverse Band Press. Do triple until they get heavy then start doing singles until you reach your max. Do not be afraid to miss a weight.

2) Best to follow up with a Rack lockout or a Board Press depending on what you used for your max effort work to a heavy set of 3-5

3) Dumbell Extension; Choose between DB extensions 6-7 sets of 8, or Elbows out extensions 4 sets of 10

4) Lats; More rows or lat pulldowns.

5) Choose one Delt exercise that works your weak point.

FRIDAY SPEED SQUATS

1) Box Squats; Worked on a 4 week wave.
WEEK 1: 50% 10 sets of 2
WEEK 2: 53% 10 sets of 2
WEEK 3: 57% 8 sets of 2
WEEK 4: 60% 8 sets of 2
WEEK 5: 50% 10 sets of 2
etc....

2) Speed Deadlifts; 4-5 singles with 50-60%

3) Glut/ Ham raises; 4-5 sets of 8-10

4) Reverse Hypers

5) Abs

Sled work: all sets are 100 feet down and 100 feet back.

Monday;
Forward Dragging 2 trips 100%
Backward Dragging 2 trips 100%
Ankle Drags 1 trip 100%
Front Raises 2 trips 60%
Rear Raise 2 trips 60%

Tuesday;
Forward Dragging 2 trips 60%
Backward Dragging 2 trips 60%
Ankle Drags 1 trip 60%
Front Raises 2 trips 30%
Rear Raise 2 trips 30%

Wednesday;
Forward Dragging 2 trips 30%
Backward Dragging 2 trips 30%
Sumo Dragging 1 trip 100%
Front Raises 2 trips 100%
Rear Raise 2 trips 100%

Thursday
OFF

Friday;
Forward Dragging 2 trips 100%
Backward Dragging 2 trips 100%
Sumo Dragging 60%
Front Raises 2 trips 60%
Rear Raise 2 trips 60%

Saturday;
Forward Dragging 2 trips 60%
Backward Dragging 2 trips 60%
Ankle Drags 1 trip 30%
Front Raises 2 trips 30%
Rear Raise 2 trips 30%

SAMPLE WEEK:

SUNDAY

Speed Bench 8 sets of 3 @ 96lbs
JM Press 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
DB Extensions 4-7 sets of 8 reps
Chest Supported Row 4-5 sets of 8-10
Seated Power Cleans 3-4 sets of 12-15

MONDAY

Max Effort: Safety Squat Bar Good Mornings
Glut/Ham Raise 4-5 sets of 10
Pull Throughs 4 sets of 10-15
Reverse Hypers 4 sets of 8-10
Standing Cable Abs 4-5 sets of 10-15

WEDNESDAY

Max Effort: 3 Board Press
Rack Lockouts work up to heavy triple
Elbows Out Extensions 4 sets of 10
Bent Over Curl Grip Row 4-5 sets of 8-12
Rear Delt Raises 3-4 sets of 8-10

FRIDAY

Speed Squats: 10 sets of 2 @ 155lbs
Speed Deadlifts 5 singles @ 160
Glut/ Ham raises; 4-5 sets of 8-10
Reverse Hypers 4 sets of 8-10
Standing Cable Abs 4-5 sets of 10-15

Active recovery daily, of course.

spatts said:
This is one class where you can't get out of doing the home work.

You act big and bad
You can lie about your strength
The bar doesn't care

You can half ass your studies in this class, if you want...but the final exam is pass/fail

Top Bottom