Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weightlifting to Get Legs STRONGER! (Need Tips)

TaylorBoi

Whats up folks. I was wondering if somebody could give me tips on weightlifting and how to get my legs stronger. The reason for this is I'm a High Jumper at the collegiate level. I jump 7'2.50 which is pretty decent but in order to get to a professional level (7'5-7'7) you have to have very strong legs to clear those heights. I just started squatting and my legs are super weak!!! I maxed out at 225 just to see where im at. My goal from now to august is to reach at least 475 (if possible). The only thing is i dont really know how to progress in weight each week or how many sets to do.

Any input would be appreciated.

dude you have to have realistic goals for yourself.... you want to do more than double your squat by august and you're doing 225 as it is...... that will be tough as shit.

you should try other variations of the squat.. look up the jump squat ( i promise you you won't be doing 225) and the power clean.. this helps explosiveness and it's a really good exercise.

Will definitely check it out. I meant 375 and not 475 typo error. I have till November to actually get that strong since the season doesnt start till december. Thanks guys

Depends on how important it is.

Really important? Go to elitefts.com and email Dave Tate and find a way to meet with him in person, or on the phone.

Will definitely check it out. I meant 375 and not 475 typo error. I have till November to actually get that strong since the season doesnt start till december. Thanks guys

ahh alright that makes more sense now lol..

so you can squat 225 and you want to go up 150 pounds in around 5 months. Definitely do-able.

Figure you squat 3 days a week, so you squat around 12 or 13 times a month. Normally, you are supposed to go up around 5 pounds each workout (someone correct me if i am wrong).. I think you should do as much as you can, because you do want to get AT LEAST 375, but plan for the worst so you can only see better. If you figure you workout 60-70 times until then, you would need to bring your squat up about 2-3 pounds per workout. Worst case scenario would be you increase your squat 5 pounds A WEEK, so by the end you go up to around 345 or 350. I think you should try to increase the weight you put on by 5 pounds each workout, and see where that takes you. That way, you have some room in between for a possible plateau, and you also have to account for bad days where you just aren't lifting at your best and can't go up. Remember, form comes before the weight on the bar, and good luck with your high jumping. I know you probably (definately) know this, but plyometrics also help a lot

As for putting on weight, start out with warmups at maybe around 115, or 125, and then work your way up to 225 in 3 or 4 sets. Experiment the first few times and see what works best for you

I have found the best way to increase squat has been squat 3 times a week, on monday do work up to a heavy set of 5, then on friday work up to a heavy triple with 2.5kg or 5lbs more than you used on monday, the monday after than do the same weight but for 5 reps. Finish both workouts with a burnout set of 8. On wednesdays do a lighter squat day or front squats 4 sets of 4 reps not failure but ramp the weight up each set.

So for example it might go like this:

Monday - work up to 225 x 5
Wednesday - start at 120lbs and each set add 20lbs, 4 sets of 4 reps so you finish with 200lbs x 4
Friday - work up to 230 x 3

then the week after

Monday - 230lbs x 5
Wednesday - finish with 205lbs x 4
Friday - 235lbs x 3

Keep it simple. If you haven't squatted before until today a simple 5x5 should work as long as you bust your ass and are eating right. What does your current training look like?

Top Bottom