Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

weighted pullups vs pulldowns?

Much, much, much more muscle stimulation, fibre recruitment, and subsequent growth and strength increase.

Does anyone know the logic behind this? I've heard this before and it seems to be the case in terms of how I feel after doing the two exercises, but it seems like pulldowns with proper form should theoretically give the same benefits...

The difference is bio-motor compatability. i.e what is your goal / activity/

Pullups have the upper body in closed chain & lower body in the open chain & pulldowns are the reverse, which do you need?

As it was stated before, pullups give greater fiber stimulation, overall strength and development. It is always easier to move a weight toward your body in a fixed postion than it is to move your body towards a fixed axis

both can be be beneficial, all depends on your needs

you rarely see people in the gym doing weighted pullups. everyone's cranking away on the lat pulldown machine. why? because it's easier. most guys in the gym can't even hit more than a few bodyweight pullups, hence the reason they're all on the pulldown machine.

supersizeme said:
you rarely see people in the gym doing weighted pullups. everyone's cranking away on the lat pulldown machine. why? because it's easier. most guys in the gym can't even hit more than a few bodyweight pullups, hence the reason they're all on the pulldown machine.

Yep.

The pulldown machine might be better if you don't wedge your legs under the pad, but then you can't do nearly as much weight. So weighted pullups are the way to go.

Sometimes I do my sets of weighted pullups and then finish up with one last set of pulldowns when I can't do anymore pullups.

WEighted pullups are a bitch! I do em every workout though. I can do a set of 15 wide grip without weight, with just a 20lb dumbell I only do about 6 and then about 2-3 only after my partner takes it- and puts me out of breath.

How does one get to the point of even doing one pullup with body weight only? I am a woman and use a machine that gives assistance but progress is soooo slow. My husband can spot me and give assistance but isn't that the same thing that the machine does? I'd like to be able to do it on my own.

Blaithin

Top Bottom