Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

weight training for a wrestler

conandyle..

guys do you think lifting 6 days a week could increase my cardio, or I will be better off running long distances every day, I wrestle ate college and I have good strength and technique but I'm getting my ass kicked because of cardio, I get tired really quick, the only training I do is the regular wrestling training with coaches, that' it.

You've answered your own question and found the answer is no. You need to do 20-minutes three times a week as a minimum. Now whether it's running style cardio or conditioning work for wrestling is up to you.

Running will definitely increase your endurance, so it would be best to do the running. I would do half of the running in HIIT style - short intense cardio sessions, and half of the cardio would be long distance running. However, keep in mind that running will decrease your muscle mass, so you will need to find that balance between reduced mass and cardio. Who knows, maybe you would get into a lower weight category in wresting this way.

Don't fix what isn't broken. You said yourself that you have good strength and technique. Whatever you are doing is obviously working. Keep to the same workout program you are doing currently.

As for cardio/endurance - long duration cardio really doesn't do much for endurance. I would do some intense high intensity interval training sessions instead. It'll really get your heart rate up and improve your cardio.

Check out this article on HIIT cardio workouts -> https://www.evolutionary.org/hiit-sprints-vs-liss-cardio

If cardio is the issue then I would be doing more direct cardio. What you can also do is keep your rest periods short when weight training to really keep your heart rate up.

Top Bottom