Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weight Training and Cardio Split Question

Asian Dawn

Hi all,

First time post.
I weight train four times a week. I do cardio three times a week for about 45 mins each session. I like to try and get cardio four times a week. Here's my split
Monday -Legs
Tuesday -Cardio and abs
Wednesday -Shoulders and triceps
Thursday -Cardio and abs
Friday -Back and Biceps
Saturday -Chest
Sunday -Cardio and abs

My goal is get my body fat down to 10% Currently, I weigh 160lbs, I'm 5 7' inches tall. Body fat at 13%-15%.

Can you guys recommend a routine where I could fit cardio and weight train four times a week?
Or is this overtraining?

Thanks for reading.
Asian Dawn

Ignoring diet, since that's not the issue (refer to the diet board), you're probably much better off upping your cardio to 3 sessions of 60 min instead of 4 sessions of 45 min. Read WarLobo's post, 30 + 30 does not equal 60, here...
http://www.elitefitness.com/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=9&SUBMIT=Go

Other than that, I hate to see anyone not taking at least one complete rest day each week. Are you overtraining? That's a completely individual thing. If you feel good, you're eating right, and sleeping well, then you're probably okay. But most will only benefit from one day off a week. Go ahead and put all push exercises on one day.

My $.02

Thanks for the response. I read in mucscle mags that doing shorter cardio with higher intensity is better since you'll burn more calories through out the day. I guess I'm a little confused. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.
AD

If you read the women's board carefully, you'll find that's exactly the subject I've been debating. :)

Interval-type training or high intensity cardio will use a lower percentage of fat for fuel but will burn more calories per time; meaning, faster = more efficient = burns more calories. However, since it uses glycogen for fuel, you'll need to eat beforehand in order to have a productive workout. Also, since you're stressing the same fuel-pathway, lifting can easily become affected if you don't allow adequate time for recovery.

Personally, I think mixing it up is the best. I usually do three cardio sessions per week. One long and slow (60 min, under lactate threshold, which is roughly 80% of MHR for me), one interval (20 min with good warmup and cooldown), one inbetween (40 min, just at lactate threshold, ~85% MHR).

Lots of cardio will definately affect leg strength, no doubt about it. So allow adequate recovery and cut back if strength begins to fall sharply. Diet is the main determinant of abs.

Top Bottom