Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

weight training burns more calories than cardio?

stevesmi

Head Mod
Elite Moderator
not sure if i believe this.. i heard this from someone on a radio bodybuilding show.

i would think it depends on how intense your weight training is and how intense your cardio is. i mean if you run a 10K at a decent pace it would take about 50-55 minutes.. i would guestimate you are burning off 1000 calories give or take depending on how much you weigh etc. i don't see how doing weights for 50 minutes would burn 1000 calories.. maybe 500-600 but 4 figures would be a tall order

thoughts?

not sure if i believe this.. i heard this from someone on a radio bodybuilding show.

i would think it depends on how intense your weight training is and how intense your cardio is. i mean if you run a 10K at a decent pace it would take about 50-55 minutes.. i would guestimate you are burning off 1000 calories give or take depending on how much you weigh etc. i don't see how doing weights for 50 minutes would burn 1000 calories.. maybe 500-600 but 4 figures would be a tall order

thoughts?

Yea, I just dont see it. I dont think anything burns cals like cardio its constant you dont stop to where as weights u rest. I think the name behind it explains it all to me. Body building your building muscle. Cardio your not. your running that burns fat and can burn muscle.

I think its a misconception that it burns more than cardio bc tippically the more muscle u have the more fat ull burn.
So if ur building muscle stacking it on of course ur gonna burn more fat during free weights. But not compared 30 min of cardio. Idk maybe it is true I think it boils down how much and how hard you hit cardio.

Some consider cadio 15 min of tredmill on 5.5 i can power walk that.

No it doesnt. Even intense weight training for an hour burn no more than 300 calories and thats pushing it, unless you are lfiting light weight non stop which is impossible. An hour of intense cardio you can burn up to 1200 calories, thats only if its intense as fuck, low-moderate intensity cardio burn about 800 calories an hour.

I think the theory is that weight training increases your metabolism in a way where it stays elevated for many hours, while cardio increases it more during exercise, but it drops back to normal quickly when the exercise is done.
Additionally, more muscle means more metabolically active body mass, so more calories needed to maintain it.
So I think its about looking at long term metabolism, not just calories burned during your work out.

It would have to depend on the volume and intensity , but either way - i have no problem dropping bodyfat on a cut just hitting weights alone. ...just me ,the weights and the tren .

well in my experience i was skinny as a rail when i was an endurance athlete training an hour a day 4-5X per week. 6% body fat.

as a bodybuilder I train the same amount of hours a week and my body fat is 13% and I weigh way more and have way more mass.

calories taking in believe it or not I would eat way more calories as a runner, i would eat tons of italian food and I still was skinny. so i think that theory is rubbish but it just depends on intensity. if you do eliptical for an hour and lolly gaggle on it vs. doing 10 rep sets 1 minute in between it would be the equalizer would be my guesstimate

Well interval cardio burns more in 15 mins, than a steady pace for 45. Would lifting be comparable. I mean you are elevating your heart rate and then letting it drop again, similar to intervals.

I think the theory is that weight training increases your metabolism in a way where it stays elevated for many hours, while cardio increases it more during exercise, but it drops back to normal quickly when the exercise is done.
Additionally, more muscle means more metabolically active body mass, so more calories needed to maintain it.
So I think its about looking at long term metabolism, not just calories burned during your work out.

IN my research this is what I seen the most of. Also yes interval cardio burns much more then steady state, thats what they say anyhow.

Also on the weight training you must not eat after your session. As soon as you eat the effect supposedly stops.

In my own expereince as a middle distance runner I was rail thin and could never eat enough. Of course that was 20+ years ago too. Now I pretty much stay at around 16% bf with no cardio, weights only.
I am now as of a week ago addding is an hour of cardio per day weather I lift or not. Time will tell...:supercool

Top Bottom