Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

For weight loss - lift heavy w/ few reps or light with many reps?

dp7712

I am a little confused on how I should be lifting after being out of the game for 2 years and gaining unwanted bodyfat (currently at around 20%). I am currently getting back to dieting and restricting calories, I do my cardio but am confused on how I should be lifting. I used to lift heavy with less reps when I was smaller and not dieting. But now I am doing less calories to lose some weight so how should I be doing my weight training? I have been doing heavy weights with less reps, but can tell since I am eating less, I have less energy to push hard. I know you can't gain muscle without excess calories. My friend said I should be doing less weight with many reps. Someone help me out. Also if you can recommend a training program to follow for my situation, like the 5x5 or something else, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Your diet is key to losing weight, not your training. I would keep lifting heavy. The high reps+less weight=loss in weight is an old myth that doesn't hold any ground.

Remeber this...... NOTHING burns fat better than an increase in lean muscle mass, except diet. That being said, those that train hard and heavy tend to burn fat( assuming diet is in check) faster than those that dont. This may help your decision.

GoldenDelicious said:
heavy weight, heavy emphasis on diet, slip in a little cardio

Yeah dont forget that cardio slip...man i hate cardio...some poeple can do it with diet and weights alone....i wish i was one of those people

Try to do heavy weight and not only increase the weight as you progress but decrease the time in between sets. You get an awsome cardio effect without running on the hamster wheel.

You will probably sacrifice some strength, but too much cardio and you wind up burning muscle also.

Not a big fan of cardio

I still train heavy and fairly low rep when cutting, I just do it through diet

Thanks everyone for your replies. Everything points to the training heavy with fewer reps. Thing is since I am cutting calories, I don't have as much energy for my workouts like I used to when I used to eat before I went to lift. Any help in that area? What is something decent to eat before I lift? I can't take ephedra due to anxiety but I usually have a cup of coffee or caffine pill with a protein shake an hour before then right after my workout. btw: ON Mint chocolate whey is ridiculous, first protein I can drink with water and actually enjoy it :)

I won't get into specifics, but as others mentioned, you must at sometimes lift heavy to maintain strength.

as far as weakness goes, what kind of diet are you doing?

Top Bottom