Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weak shoulder issue -Boxing Related

luigisacs

All,

I Box several times a week not for competition but for fitness. My left shoulder and arm is significantly weaker than my right and it is affecting my form. I would like to strengthen my shoulder but I am not sure the proper and most effective way to do so.

With that said I had been following a 5x5 protocol for the majority of the year. I have taken the past several weeks off to let me joints and tendons recover. I will be going back into lifting this week. My questions are as follows -

Would it be better to get back into a 3x5 Rippetoe type program considering that I do a lot of conditioning work with Boxing?

In order to strengthen the left shoulder would it be better to do Dumbell Presses instead of overhead presses? Or should I do specific isolation work on Boxing days and keep my 3x5 to overhead presses.

My schedule is/will be as follows
Sunday - 3x5 day one
Monday - AM - Cardio PM Boxing
Tuesday - 3x5 day two
Wednesday - AM Cardio PM Boxing
Thursday - 3x5 day three
Friday - OFF
Saturday - Boxing

For informational purposes my PR's are as follows. These are all a 1x5 best.
Squat - 225
Bench -190
Row -160
Deadlift - 300
OHP - 145

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

luigisacs said:
All,

I Box several times a week not for competition but for fitness. My left shoulder and arm is significantly weaker than my right and it is affecting my form. I would like to strengthen my shoulder but I am not sure the proper and most effective way to do so.

With that said I had been following a 5x5 protocol for the majority of the year. I have taken the past several weeks off to let me joints and tendons recover. I will be going back into lifting this week. My questions are as follows -

Would it be better to get back into a 3x5 Rippetoe type program considering that I do a lot of conditioning work with Boxing?

In order to strengthen the left shoulder would it be better to do Dumbell Presses instead of overhead presses? Or should I do specific isolation work on Boxing days and keep my 3x5 to overhead presses.

My schedule is/will be as follows
Sunday - 3x5 day one
Monday - AM - Cardio PM Boxing
Tuesday - 3x5 day two
Wednesday - AM Cardio PM Boxing
Thursday - 3x5 day three
Friday - OFF
Saturday - Boxing

For informational purposes my PR's are as follows. These are all a 1x5 best.
Squat - 225
Bench -190
Row -160
Deadlift - 300
OHP - 145

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

are you a south paw? how long have you been boxing?

a lack of strength in your shoulder shouldn't affect your form. keep in mind that most people can't throw power shots with their lead hand (which is generally their weak side).

to throw an effective punch, you don't need a lot of strength. rather, you need to learn how to transfer your body weight through the punch.

Illuminati said:

a lack of strength in your shoulder shouldn't affect your form. keep in mind that most people can't throw power shots with their lead hand (which is generally their weak side).

to throw an effective punch, you don't need a lot of strength. rather, you need to learn how to transfer your body weight through the punch.

I fight in a conventional manner with my left arm ast my jab arm. The problem I have is that my jab doesn't have the snap nor the power that I believe it should. My trainer states that my form is fine but I just don't have the appropriate strenght to continually jab. I am thinking it is a muscle endurance issue as I never use my left arm for anything.

I have recently gotten into boxing again. I had boxed for a year but still had the same strength issues as now. I have been back for 6 weeks.

Illuminati said:

illuminati is right, when i go train "boxing" or mma, the power comes from the hips and the body, not the actual muscles. Speed = Power in boxing/fighting imo. But dont leave out muscle strenght....

you ever shadow box with 5lb dumbells in your hands? this will help endurance...alot of rotator cuff work would be nice too...

mm107 said:
illuminati is right, when i go train "boxing" or mma, the power comes from the hips and the body, not the actual muscles. Speed = Power in boxing/fighting imo. But dont leave out muscle strenght....

you ever shadow box with 5lb dumbells in your hands? this will help endurance...alot of rotator cuff work would be nice too...

I have not shadowboxed with weights yet. I will definitely give it a try though. I do understand that the power comes from the hips and legs. then I guess strengthening those areas with squats, deadlifts and cleans would probably be beneficial.

luigisacs said:
I have not shadowboxed with weights yet. I will definitely give it a try though. I do understand that the power comes from the hips and legs. then I guess strengthening those areas with squats, deadlifts and cleans would probably be beneficial.

I would also try kettlebell snatches and dumbbell jerks. These should help you with the power you want to develop in your jab. and I like the idea that MM said but instead of dumbbells I'd suggest resistance bands connected behind you to a pole or something. The only reason I'd suggest this is because with the bands, you've got resistance pulling directly back, and you have to force the jab/punch, where with a dumbbell the weight is pushing down on your arm and would be counterproductive in that power you need and unnatural.

luigisacs said:
I fight in a conventional manner with my left arm ast my jab arm. The problem I have is that my jab doesn't have the snap nor the power that I believe it should. My trainer states that my form is fine but I just don't have the appropriate strenght to continually jab. I am thinking it is a muscle endurance issue as I never use my left arm for anything.

I have recently gotten into boxing again. I had boxed for a year but still had the same strength issues as now. I have been back for 6 weeks.

without being able to see your form, all that I can do is offer advice.

most people don't have knock out power in the jab, unless you are a converted south paw like Mike Tyson (meaning, you are left handed, and fight in a conventional stance).

the key to getting some snap in your jab, is pushing off on your rear leg. this creates weight transfer. the foot from your lead leg should land at about the same time that your jab is fully extended.

Top Bottom