Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

want to put a tiny bit of powerlifting into my bodybuilding routine, plz help

110%

i really am interested in putting up some good weight in dead, squat, and bench but i am more interested in bodybuilding, so i am gonna stick to that but i want to incorporate some powerlifting. waht i need hlep on is i workout five days a week bodyparts once a week, mon: chest, abs/ tues: deads*cleans,back, traps/ wed: rest, forearms/ thurs: quads, hams, calves/ fri: shoulders, abs/ sat: biceps, triceps, forearms/ sun: rest. so as you see i dont wanna go as far as doing westside or any of that, but i want soem help for some routines with bench, squat, deadlift. i am currently about to start a matrix routine for bench on mon, never tried one before. i am thinking about alternating cleans and deads each week on tues for back day, i was wondering if i should just keep consistent with working up to a one rep max each time as i think it seems like you just use a lot of reversal strength to do high reps on deads, though i have never done cleans before and want to start so if u can help me out with this. for squats i am doing a 3 X 5 at the most weight i can do for 5, then up weight for a one rep max. also waht exercises should i stick in there for additional help, i was thinking glute/ham raise would work best, i currently am doing the squats, then leg press for 1 X 10, 2 x 5, and hack squats, 2 X 8-10, and for hams lying leg curls and stiff legged deadlifts. i knwo this is long but i would appreciate some help, mostly on deads/cleans, and squat.here are my current stats:

height: 5'6"
weight: 154 (as of fri, i really hate this i wish iw as bigger haha)
current bench: 240 (just maxed out for matrix routine)
deadlifts: 370 (with wrist straps and belt, are u allowed to use wrist straps at meets, im assuming not)
squat: 265 ( i know i am a pussy, i was a beach muscles lifter for like 1.5 years, i jsut started lifting legs around 8 months ago, really regret not doing them before ha)

I still say give WestSide a shot..... it's not like your muscles'll atrophy..you'll probably gain some quality mass.

Or jsut make adjustments to it.

If not, just keep the reps low, add in some plyometrics and that's basics PLing

-Zulu

see i was thinking about maybe trying just a short 12 week westside routine, but researching at elitefts.com and here, i have no idea about bands or any of that. also im cutting right now, i have went from 171-154 and wanna still lose some more weight and bf, so that wouldnt be good to go along for a routine mainly for strenght. maybe after summer i will try a westside but for now i dont really want to.

Just for the record, I did Westside for like 13 weeks and added over 100 lbs on my total and I was on low cals the whole time(lost 5-7 lbs of bodyweight). So it is possible to gain strenght dieting, just not as easy.

Good to see you admit the whole non-leg thing, It's a tragedy in gyms all over the world these days. Good to see you take them serious now.

For the deads, be sure to use a mixed grip(over/under) if you aren't already and use chalk also. If you still have trouble holding it do plently of grip work(static holds are excellent).

I'D RATHER BE DEADLIFTING said:
Just for the record, I did Westside for like 13 weeks and added over 100 lbs on my total and I was on low cals the whole time(lost 5-7 lbs of bodyweight). So it is possible to gain strenght dieting, just not as easy.

Good to see you admit the whole non-leg thing, It's a tragedy in gyms all over the world these days. Good to see you take them serious now.

For the deads, be sure to use a mixed grip(over/under) if you aren't already and use chalk also. If you still have trouble holding it do plently of grip work(static holds are excellent).

thx for the reply man, yeah i do do over/under grip. i started these back with squats, but for some reason i was able to get some good strength in them fast, but no where where iw ant to be. i got a ? though, i want to work on grip, what is static holds?, also what are some other good ones? also what did ur westside look like, if u have it saved and can copy and paste if able.

ZZuluZ said:
You don't need bands and the like.....

-Zulu

do u guys do urs with bands, i though u had to use these as this is most of the concept behind westside, see i harly know any about westside training. also i dont get it, you guys do a dynamic day of about 50% of your max for like 10 reps of a lot of sets right, how can this hlep only doing like 50%, i am confused. i know speed work, but u know my confusion. young and uninformed i am haha.

I haven't tried any band or chain training yet.

Static hold with a barbell- set the pins to the power rack to a height where you only have to lift the bar an inch or two and hold the bar in the topposition of your deadlift for as long as possible. You can load big weights on there and just hammer your grip. You can do heavy holds with dumbells too.

I'D RATHER BE DEADLIFTING said:
I haven't tried any band or chain training yet.

Static hold with a barbell- set the pins to the power rack to a height where you only have to lift the bar an inch or two and hold the bar in the topposition of your deadlift for as long as possible. You can load big weights on there and just hammer your grip. You can do heavy holds with dumbells too.

thx man, do u think i should add these in on wednesday on my rest day, where im gonna be doing forearms cuz i have a barbell and some weights at home and i dont really consider just forearms a workout. also any other real good ones, such as one armed hangs i heard are pretty good?

Speed work is there to potentiate your nervous system. Strength has a great deal to do with speed, you can teach your body to go faster, that is what speed days are for.

You use 8-12 reps of 2-3 reps at 50-70% of your 1RM with 1 min rests.

-Zulu

Top Bottom