Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Want to be a competetive strong man! Advice advice needed

Current stats:
6'1
225 pounds
18 years old

Lifts:
180lb bench
220lb squat
265lb dead lift
170lb military press

Story:
Have been cutting down from 280 pounds and have lost most of my strenght, although when i was stronger i wasn't eating clean therefore i didn't even get close to my true potential and i have a BIG potential im Polish (pudzianowski) lol.. jks.. but as said i have been told i have much potential.
I only started the squats and dead lifts last week and still perfecting my form..
In a few months i will be joining the army and my plan is to use all the resources i get to train for strong men competition.. im hoping after 2 years of training i can be to a high enough level to compete in a state event and the after 4 years of training go for a national event (Australia). Pending on my results i will decide if i want to keep advancing.
When i mean train i mean train... i won't miss a workout! i will eat as clean as possible! i will train to my 100% intencity... i have the will power and motivation to fuel me...
Now im just wondering if im just getting a bit on the dreams sides of things.. if i am dreaming stop reading now please and just tell me so..
If im not dreaming and it's possible please tell me how i would start into this.. any links for some useful training, mass sizes.. etc..
My plan is on cutting down to 185lb and then bullking up..
4 days a week of training and on saturday some direct strong men training.. basically my knowledge on this stuff is low..
What sort of strenght and lifts would i need to be doing to be competitive (state and national level)?

Opinions, advice, links all greatly apreciated and if you do have something to say please share it.. as this is my #1 priority for years to come and i WILL stop at nothing to achieve it!

Cheers

First of all, good luck to you in your efforts.

One thing I have noticed about all the high-profile strongmen is that they have exhibited prodigious strength at an early age. They are naturally incredibly strong people, presumably something to do with the composition of their muscle fibres.

There are some competing strongmen on here and I'm sure they'll comment but from what you've posted you seem just normal. Probably on the higher end of normal but still just normal. You can still get brutally strong but for the 'heroes' of the game, life dealt a mighty hand.

yes there are a few strongmen here.... the name that comes readily to mind is "b fold the truth". and another thing.. there is a strongman forum here; maybe that would be helpful. i just want to ask y u want to cut? aren't u working backwards? and lastly, best of luck.

silver_shadow said:
i just want to ask y u want to cut? aren't u working backwards? and lastly, best of luck.

few reasons.. ive always wanted a cut up body.. i know if i go ahead with my plans i will not be able to keep it.. and the more dominant reason being im going to the army.. so need to get through recruiting.. Much easier with a lower body weight.

i'm not sure what the numbers would be like for state and national levels, but i'd imagine to get there from where u plan to be (after cutting) would be impossible in 2 yrs. 2 yrs is just too little time to start to lift freakishly heavy weights.

hmm i dont know what to tell u except eat and train...even going from 280 down those are very weak strength lifts...try hard and work your way up...

ps. if u want to cut to 185 than build up u'll need about 5 years....losing all that weight than trying to build up again with take FOREVER

most strongman weight at LEAST 250

My guess is you need to be able to Deadlift at least 600 lbs before you can have any chance at all in a real strongman meet.

I hope B Fold the Truth or maybe Scotsman will read your thread and reply, also as suggested try the strongman forum as you will find them there. In B Fold's avatar - he is lifting the large circle stones....

If you are needing to get your weight down a bit to get through basic training, don't worry - it will drop anyway through the rigors of the exercise and running. It may be good to get in shape (if you are not already) from a cardiovascular standpoint. That way all the exercise will not be so painful (mentally/physically) and you will have enough left over in the tank to actually train/lift.

You will need some direction here, just like bodybuilding workouts are not like powerlifting, etc. I imagine in Strongman, just like in Powerlifting - you actually have to "TRAIN THE LIFTS (or events for that matter in Strongman)". Therefore a repetitive effort method RE like in bodybuilding workouts will not benefit you as greatly.

Seek out B-Fold and Scotsman here on EF, they can help give you some direction.

Good luck to you. :)

Last edited:
I just meant that, as a general guide, my guess is someone needs to have the core strength to deadlift at least 600 lbs to be competitive at all in strongman. But yes they do have to train the actual lifts.

Top Bottom