Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Walking vs Running - is my understanding correct?

RodrigueZz

I am currently 63" and 140 lbs with equal to or less than 10% body fat. I am hoping to get to 150 lbs while remaining under 10% body fat.

I have read a few websites and heard from people in he gym that walking is better than running for burning fat as the ratio of fat to muscle consumed as energy during walking has a higher percentage of fat than running. The only reasons why running may seem a better choice is that no endurance is built when walking, and due to a runner exerting more energy than a walker more calories are burned overall in a 30 minute running session than would be burned in a 30 minute walking session, resulting in more total fat being burned when running.

Is this true or am I misinterpreting the literature? Am I correct for thinking that long walking sessions will help me reach my goal by burning unwanted fat and helping me maintain my muscle?

you use carbs for high intensity physical exertions(lifting heavy weights, jogging and running) and you use fat for low intensity exertions(sleeping, walking, and living in general).

if you wake up in the morning and go for a walk without consuming anything cept maybe pure water, your body will use fat reserves as fuel if you go on a walk. however, if you go on a run your body will be forced to use protein (muscle) in order to maintain the physical exertion and so you will lose muscle. less calories are burnt when walking obviously but if you want to maintain muscle while losing fat it is much better to go on a walk instead of a jog. if you want to maintain as much muscle as possible when jogging, you MUST eat carbs before you go on a jog because your body would much rather burn carbs than protein for fuel.

i am however, of the opinion that walking is better for losing fat than jogging. i combine intermittent fasting with carb cycling and fasted walks in the morning when im really trying to cut down. all of this focuses on ketosis and using fat for fuel instead of carbs. i have actually managed to lose fat while having surplus calories with this method. i just need to cut down one more time until im around 10% bf but ive been putting it off because this diet is hell.

That's the general idea I have gathered - so I am not completely off base to think that walking an extra hour each day (maybe start walking to the gym/grocery store etc) will help me look leaner and maintain the muscle.

Another inquiry I have though: if I were to do incline walking, but my heart rate went up to say 100 bpm... would I be using cards (muscle) for energy or would that be a safe heart rate for maintaining my lean mass?

at your size you don't need to be doing any cardio right now.

just stick to weights. weightlifting is a form of cardio btw, when you do a set your heart rate spikes to levels that would shock people. so yes it works the heart. is it the same as jogging? no i'm not saying that before some kid jumps down my throat. i was an endurance athlete for years, before that a powerlifter, and now a bodybuilder.. all 3 are different, all 3 will produce a different looking body.

ur way too skinny right now.. hit the weights hard and heavy. and eat. no more cardio for you for a while if you want to put on weight

at your size you don't need to be doing any cardio right now.

just stick to weights. weightlifting is a form of cardio btw, when you do a set your heart rate spikes to levels that would shock people. so yes it works the heart. is it the same as jogging? no i'm not saying that before some kid jumps down my throat. i was an endurance athlete for years, before that a powerlifter, and now a bodybuilder.. all 3 are different, all 3 will produce a different looking body.

ur way too skinny right now.. hit the weights hard and heavy. and eat. no more cardio for you for a while if you want to put on weight

That's a great point about cardio benefits of resistance training. It's something that tends to get overlooked.
And another good point that weight lifting and diet are probably the 2 things most needed to lose fat in this case. But if the choice is to do the hour walk each day or watch TV, of course the walk is a good thing to do.

you use carbs for high intensity physical exertions(lifting heavy weights, jogging and running) and you use fat for low intensity exertions(sleeping, walking, and living in general).

if you wake up in the morning and go for a walk without consuming anything cept maybe pure water, your body will use fat reserves as fuel if you go on a walk. however, if you go on a run your body will be forced to use protein (muscle) in order to maintain the physical exertion and so you will lose muscle. less calories are burnt when walking obviously but if you want to maintain muscle while losing fat it is much better to go on a walk instead of a jog. if you want to maintain as much muscle as possible when jogging, you MUST eat carbs before you go on a jog because your body would much rather burn carbs than protein for fuel.

i am however, of the opinion that walking is better for losing fat than jogging. i combine intermittent fasting with carb cycling and fasted walks in the morning when im really trying to cut down. all of this focuses on ketosis and using fat for fuel instead of carbs. i have actually managed to lose fat while having surplus calories with this method. i just need to cut down one more time until im around 10% bf but ive been putting it off because this diet is hell.
This is really enlightening information. I thought running faster would help me make my weight lose faster but now realized that only thing I can lose by doing so are vital proteins much needed for building muscles.

````````````````````````````````````

This is really enlightening information. I thought running faster would help me make my weight lose faster but now realized that only thing I can lose by doing so are vital proteins much needed for building muscles.

That's the general idea I have gathered - so I am not completely off base to think that walking an extra hour each day (maybe start walking to the gym/grocery store etc) will help me look leaner and maintain the muscle.

Another inquiry I have though: if I were to do incline walking, but my heart rate went up to say 100 bpm... would I be using cards (muscle) for energy or would that be a safe heart rate for maintaining my lean mass?

i have heard that eating BCAAs will prohibit consumption of muscle as a fuel source. i dont know when you take them in relation to the excersize you might have to search it up.

to answer your question i have to start speculating. low intensity is less than 65% of your maximum heart rate. your maximum heart rate is 220 - (your age). so if youre 20 years old, your max heart rate would be 200bpm; which means you would need to keep your heart rate below 130 to be in the low intensity zone.

but take note that none of this is set in stone and your body isnt gonna be like 'hey this guy just hit 66% of maximum heart rate, better start burning heaps of muscle to maintain energy output'. im just saying that this is a good reference point on which you can base your training.

and stevesmi is right. 6 3" is 189cm isnt it? 140lb is 64kg? if you want to gain strength or muscle you shouldnt be doing any fat loss programs, just focus 100% on weight training and if you manage to eat enough you might start seeing results. if you start getting fat cut back on the food a little bit.

If your diet is right then you can burn fat with low impact cardio like walking....the bodybuilders do this pre contest to keep the metabolism working without depleting muscle mass. my wife did this method after having my son and lost 40lbs in 6 weeks....no high intensity cardio at all, just a lean protien diet and an hour of walking on a treadmill a day.

Top Bottom