Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Waking too early - linked to lifting?

cunninglinguist

Anyone else ever have this issue?

Every morning after working out (between 5pm and 6pm the eve before) I seem to wake up after 6-7 hours of sleep rather than the 8 hours (I think?) I need... on non lifting days I seem to sleep longer :sleep2:

Can this be due to overtraining? Or some other CNS related issue?

I don't use stimulants at the moment, only supps I'm on are:

Whey
Creatine (5gr/day)
Omega-3 fish oil
Magnesium (bisglycinate)

It isnt likely due to overtraining. With heavy lifting overtraining typically it is sympathetic nervous system overtraining. This comes with a whole host of factors including diastolic and sometimes systolic hypertension, excessive catecholamines, insomnia, lack of appetite. You noted that you wake up after certain amount of sleep, not that you have trouble initially falling asleep. This happens to me sometimes, notably this week as I am on the pager for patients with heart attacks. Specifically I have been retiring around 10:30 pm and awaken at 5 am, even though Im not noticably fully rested, and I would be getting up at 8 am. This could be related to my high zinc intake of 50 mg tablet each evening in the hours before bed, zinc has a subtle interplay with magnesium in which you would need more. This is quite complex and Im not going to diverge on this topic as I am a novice. My waking at 5 am is largely due to this week anticipating the pager going off at the worst time(6 am) when I would have to rush through Calgary traffic and I find the anticipation of this partly at an unconscious level. Additionally the heater is close to the bed, the vent, and I hear it, and cannot wear the standard ear plugs because I must be able to hear either the cell phone or the pager, because the switchboard that pages for the heart attack patient is intermmitently bad on determining which device to call, the pager, or the cell phone, so I must use both.

How to cope with this? I have said it before on this forum that international chess is an ideal modality for not only mental training but to alleviate things like insomnia and nausea. If I am anxious at night I simply go through games on the android tablet, scid on the go is the application in which each week there are hundreds of high level chess games for review. Chess requires attentional focus similar to lifting weights, so I find it an ideal mental training tool and is invaluable for gaining sleep at night. Additionally I find that a wrist magnet works wonders on sleep quality. I wear it on the left and right wrist and see the effects. If Im not falling asleep I switch it to the other wrist. Other people also use binaural beats for helping reduce anxiety, sleep. There was a programmer named Jim Peters, U.K. based originally that offers Sbagen, this is a program for playing and formulating binaural beats on a desktop computer, and it is dos based and open source. With it you can use a base tone and various frequencies which are said to correspond through entrainment to certain brain waves. I dont use this too much although I have "engineered" various tracks which are on the healing beats forum for free download. You would download the notepad programming and then input it into sbagen and whamo you have a binaural track.

You may find some of these mentioned ideas laughable, but dont dis them until you try them. All of them I have noted here I have used at one time or another. Lastly, a carbohydrate meal near bedtime will undoubtedly help with serotonin output from the brain.

Routine & ritual is important for a good night sleep. Have you tried a slow release protein before bed such as cassein? Only go to your bedroom for sleep or if you do sex there. As mentioned, forcing yourself to stay awake is good, activities such as reading help get you to sleep. Dont drink to much water before bed. Also what time do you workout? That is something you can experiment with.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using EliteFitness

Top Bottom