Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Very confused about which routine to stick with long term ??

SirDingo

I have been reading this forum all night, and now I am even more confused than before about which routine I should stick with long term for years ahead ??

I know I have made a million post's about about trying this program or that and nothing was working, so this Summer I tried the 5x5 routine started in June and now 3-4months later still doing the same program like clockwork with increasing weights, and yes I have gained 10lbs, and little improvement in my arms, mainly my chest and shoulders, but not huge gains like I have seen others on this board make in 12weeks time or less.

My point is, after reading the awesome thread about Omega training that younger guy, and in just 12weeks time he made giant gains and looks perfect. And even though I am still waiting for Omega to reveal the exact program, it sounds like lighter weight and higher reps routine, NOT ball busting heavy weight like the 5th set of the 5x5 has me doing.

So now I am confused, I know there is Power Lifting, which is lifting heavy earth shattering weight to get ya stronger and bigger, but also can lead to joint problems ??

Then there is the Body Building routine, which doesn't have ya break your balls while lifting, and from reading this forum it sounds like BB gives you the best overall body look, but not killing your joints and breaking back while doing so ??

So where does the 5x5 program fall into all of this. I don't think Omega is training that guy on just 5x5 and nothing else. Every compound exercise I do is 5x5 routine = ramped up weight, starting light the first set, to the 5th set being ball busting back breaking. And then every week up the weight on the 5th set to make my gains.

So for me to get huge, do I have to keep doing the 5x5 until I am benching 250lbs, and Military press 150. But how come other guys like Omega seem to be teaching weight lifting with lesser weight and getting huge results faster ??

Please explain to me a BB newb

Thank's

I guess my main question is what gets me bigger, ball busting out that heavy 5th set to failure, or instead giving it my all on a 12th set of lighter weight higher rep ??

Would love to see the log that Omega has that kid doing;
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...eek-update-out-12-weeks-young-man-553763.html

Also since I have been doing the 5x5 for the whole Summer, and not changing anything, except more weight once a week on every exercise, a few of them I have peaked at, can't get much further ??

Bench Press started maxing with like 150lbs back in June, now close to 200lbs, and same with a few others, I seem to be stuck, not being able to increase the weights like I could the first three months easily, now what ??

Why do you think gaining 10 pounds in 12-16 weeks is bad? That is more than 1/2 pound per week.

If you were gaining any more (drug free) it would probably be fat .

if your stuck on 5 v5, deload and restart the progression.

I think 5 x 5 was a great advent in some ways.

Mainly because it takes alot of the over thinking out of lifting and allows you to channel your energy into results pretty fast.

so dont let my ideas take away from your successes

I just believe in another "way" much like a different martial arts or something.

and Yes I think that our way is the best and will share it.

OMEGA said:
I think 5 x 5 was a great advent in some ways.

Mainly because it takes alot of the over thinking out of lifting and allows you to channel your energy into results pretty fast.

so dont let my ideas take away from your successes

I just believe in another "way" much like a different martial arts or something.

and Yes I think that our way is the best and will share it.

So your getting that kid bulked up fast NOT on the 5x5 ?? What routine are ya using, high rep lower weight, or less reps and heavier weight ??

5x5 is a general strength program. It's to get you to the point where you can specialize. Hypertrophy mostly relys on lighter weights, more reps and longer set durations than a 5x5 will give you but that type of training does not give you the foundation strength you need to get started. You have not wasted your time getting to where you are now.

I think 50 pounds is pretty good in a few months. Now when you go to higher rep stuff, your higher reps will be with a much higher weight than just a few months ago. Which I can only assume should have a greater effect.

I'm not sure if has been said, but I don't believe there is just one routine to last for years and years. At least the impression I get that you will have to find what works for you and continue to evolve as you evolve. I read that somewhere and it made sense to me. Something about just learning the principles and then applying it to yourself.

StuWard said:
5x5 is a general strength program. It's to get you to the point where you can specialize. Hypertrophy mostly relys on lighter weights, more reps and longer set durations than a 5x5 will give you but that type of training does not give you the foundation strength you need to get started. You have not wasted your time getting to where you are now.

So should I stop soon with the 5x5 and move to higher reps lighter weight to bulk up ??

All I am looking for is to get bigger, I don't really care about Power Lifting for strength, and I am willing to put the hard earned time in to get there, like an hour ever day in the morning

I am so confused reading this forum, some say do the 5x5, but then after reading all these threads it sure sounds like allot of people do something different than the 5x5. I don't care about strength training, just want to get my upper body larger.

So far doing the 5x5 on every exercise all Summer, I have gained 10lbs, and can lift much heavier weight than before, but looking in the mirror and I can barley even notice that much, my arms still look thin, but my belly has gotten bigger from all the protein shakes, I feel this 5x5 is not enough reps to get my built up ??

SirDingo said:
So should I stop soon with the 5x5 and move to higher reps lighter weight to bulk up ??

All I am looking for is to get bigger, I don't really care about Power Lifting for strength, and I am willing to put the hard earned time in to get there, like an hour ever day in the morning

I am so confused reading this forum, some say do the 5x5, but then after reading all these threads it sure sounds like allot of people do something different than the 5x5. I don't care about strength training, just want to get my upper body larger.

So far doing the 5x5 on every exercise all Summer, I have gained 10lbs, and can lift much heavier weight than before, but looking in the mirror and I can barley even notice that much, my arms still look thin, but my belly has gotten bigger from all the protein shakes, I feel this 5x5 is not enough reps to get my built up ??

You did not gain 10lbs from the 5x5. You gained 10lbs from consuming more calories than you expended. You could have done a strict isolation Nautilus circuit all summer and ended up 10lbs heavier. Fortunately, you didn't and you ended up stronger.

I'll echo what the previous posters said. The program you did was to give you a decent foundation of strength. If you want to go with a high rep hypertrophy routine, fine. But you didn't waste your time. More weight on the bar is always going to provide more stimulus no matter what the rep scheme, and you will definitely be able to do a high rep routine with more weight than you would have otherwise.

This shit takes time. Stop being so impatient.

Top Bottom