Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Vertical Leap training thread

Read this on the Westside site

Just wanted to update you guys on my athlete's progess. I have been training a female high and triple jumper now for about 6 months. She is doing absolutly incredible in the weight room and I am excited to see how much her jumping has improved. She has been on Westside methods now for about 4 months. She is about 5'8" 145 pounds. Parallel squat is around 250 lbs. Glute hams for sets of 8-10 with 30 pounds on her back. Her form is excellent. Speed squats-135+purples (bands) for 10X3 was her latest. Easy! Explodes like a fire under her ass. Yesterday, just for kicks, we measured her thigs. 23 and 1/2 inches!!! And they are rock solid. Who says Westside doesnt add mass?? Her vertical has improved by 4 inches-in 6 months. Coaches around here can talk their shit till they are blue in the face. I KNOW what works-and I produce the results in the weight room and on the field. Thanks guys!

Oh yeah-she has NEVER done a power clean. How in the heck can she jump so damn good then?? LOL!

Rich Walker

-------

There are many ways to the top of the mountain :)

Here is a pic of my current Standing VJ - as of this week.

With plenty of room to improve! I have rolls of fat to lose, plus another 200+lbs on my full olympic squat to gain.

Note the Arnie pics on the wall and the band on the bar :)

CCJ_NoArmsVert.JPG

looking nice bro good work. my standing vert is weak but when i get a run i jump so high. my shoulder hits the bottom of the back board sometimes:D

well irght now my one leg jump is shit because i dont practise it. but my two foot off a run is high! for a white guy:D and anyone for that matter:D

Depth Jumps

Some good info on depth jumps

Just remeber that the guy has considerable leg strength
squat (parallel I assume) 585x3, I still believe that the effects of depth jumps can only be maximised once you can full squat at least twice your own bodyweight. otehrwise contact time will be too high

http://icedog.t-mag.com/jforum1/javaforum/forum.1/threads/thread.67.html

Jason Randall (2003-01-01 14:41:04 125)
Interesting. Years ago when I first began doing plyometrics, I mail ordered a plyo book (which I've since lost dammit - and can't recall the name of) that advocated a direct correlation between the height of the box, and it's direct impact on specific performance parameters ie: a 28-31" box for vertical leap and power enhancement - which makes sense, as Christian pointed out that the degree of flexion will determine total motor unit recruitment/strength power outputs, as the increased heights will force one into a deeper squat position, with greater latency prior to the ballistic rebound - and lower heights 15-21" for enhanced, short range quickness, such as you 'first step' in football or basketball. Using those parameters, in addition to jump squats, I was able to increase my vertical from 27" to 36" in about 6 weeks, using an average box height of 30 inches. Thought provoking thread.

Jason Randall (2003-01-02 02:27:43 180)
Tony, The protocol that I followed for Depth Jumps was roughly as follows -Warm up for 10-15 minutes ? light squats, stationary bike, or even an upper body workout - make sure you have a good sweat and the knees are ready to go! the height of the box is relative, I think to the individuals strength and motor unit recruitment, if you find yourself bottoming out,with TOO much latency, lower the box. As you adapt neurologically, you can raise the height back up. As a general rule you shouldn?t drop much farther than parallel, before you explode UP. -Begin depth jumps from a height of 30-31 inches 6 sets x 10 reps with 120 seconds between sets -4 sets of depth jumps + hurdles from the same height on the depth jump ? the hurdle protocol as I recall called for specific preset lengths and heights on the hurdle jumps, approximately 36? high and 4-5 feet apart. What fascinated me about the hurdle jumps, just as in the depth jumps, is that the author specified the height of the hurdles and the distance betw the jumps into specific performance distances and applications ie: higher hurdles, closer together for maximal power and short distance (20-40 yards) sprinting, lower hurdles, farther apart for longer sprinting distances ie: 100-200 yds. Which in my experience, when followed, has largely held to be true. ? SO ? to complete a ?hurdle rep? do a standard depth jump then immediately transition UP and FORWARD into the hurdle series (approx 3-4 hurdles) I followed the above protocol for 6 weeks 2 days a week. I would finish each workout with 3 sets of jump squats while holding 50lb dumbbells in each hand, going to failure In each set. During this time, I?ll keep the volume on Leg day to a minimum, focusing on strength, as the neurological demands are HIGH! I can say the level of explosiveness gained, as well as stamina is Awesome. My genetic makeup is largely type IIb I think..based upon my size and lifts. I?m 5?11 and currently 210 at 12% - (my goal is to be an athlete, not an atypical body builder?not that bodybuilders aren?t ?athletes?) and NEED to lean out! When I attained the above results, I was 195lbs and well into single digits in BF. In order to maximize the above protocol, I?ve found it ideal embark on it after or midway thru a Strength phase, which I feel will help you maximize your new strength and mass, which will immediately Translate into increases in performance on the field/court. When I added the 9in to my vertical over that time period I had just gotten off of a 6 week strength phase, where my best triple in the squat was 585, up from a prev best of 494. That?s really the value of plyo, I think. It allows an athlete to actually USE the strength and mass gained from all the hours in the gym and at the training table, in an explosive, attacking fashion ? doesn?t it stand to reason that the strongest, most powerful athletes, SHOULD be the most explosive? Well, YES, provided that they can activate all that mass and power, on a DIME! That?s the value of doing this at the tail end, or AFTER the strength, or hypertrophy phase. The research that I?ve read, in addition to my amateur coaching experience tells me that, even if an athlete is NOT predisposed to a type IIb profile, or is known as an explosive athlete on the field, explosive training (whether it be plyo or oly lifts) will significantly increase the recruitment of those motor units, and significantly impact that individuals performance, provided that the muscular FOUNDATION is there. On a side note?I?ve also done depth jumps while using ?strength shoes? ?now I know a lot of cats on the forum Are skeptical of them, However, I?ve had nothing but good results with them. When using the ?shoes? in addition to the Above plyo w.o. I was able to drop my 40 to 4.58 (I was never a speed demon!) and got my vert to 38?then I blew my knee out In a game :( But there you have it. In a nutshell, that was the protocol, which you can tweak based upon your goals and Experience?and to keep Christian from pummeling my noggin...I?ll see if I can dig up that book somewhere?Lord forbid he?d whack me with a kettle bell ..heheee. The book also had some sweet hill training protocols?and TOW TRAINING from a car/truck?gitty up, I LOVE THIS STUFF..i?m all about the functionality of lookin? good and kickin? ass baby ?

Top Bottom