Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Vertical Leap training thread

i did air alert. forone thing you kill yourself. then all it reallly gives you is a quicker vert. its not worth it and it was prob very bad on my knees.

I found this on ABC BB...

So, i'm not paying...

There are 5 excercises that you do 5 times a week Mondays through Fridays.
Leap Ups, Calf Raises, Step Ups, Thrust Ups, and Burn Outs

Leap Ups

step 1: bend down to a 1/4 squat position with your hands it in front of you. Put your your arms by your side and raise your forearms up so your arms from a 90 degree angle (sorry if this sounds confusing). Then jump up.

step 2: Jump up into the air to a minimum of 8 to 10 inches and when in the air put your hands down byour sides and make your arms straight.

Repeat

Calf Raises

Do this one leg at a time. Get a book about 4 inches thick and get something to hold onto to keep your balance like a chair. While standing straight up, place the ball of one foot (keep the other leg elevated) on the book and let the heel hang over the edge. Your entire body weight will be resting on the planted foot which will be stretching your calf downward.

Raise yourself up on your toes as high as you can using only your calf muscle then lower yourself back down so your heel is below the edge of what you are standing on. This is one rep. Repeat. Switch legs after completing all reps for one leg. Rest 25 seconds in between sets.

Step Ups
Get a chair and place it in front of you. Place one foot on the chair so your thigh is parallel to the ground. You should be in a stepping position with one leg up and one leg on the floor. Push up with the elevated leg as hard as you can so your body and feet actually leave the chair. While in the air, cross or switch your legs so that when you land you should be in the same but opoposite position as before. This is one rep. Repeat. Rest 3-4 minutes in between sets.

Thrust Ups
Simply jump straight up (1 rep) and as soon as you land jump up again as high and as hard as you can. When you land don't bend your legs, unlike the leap ups)Rest 1 minute in between sets.

Burn Outs
Jump up no more than 1/2 to 1 inch off the ground as you did in the thrust ups. Don't bend your knees and during this excercise you must be elevated on your tiptoes as high as possible and keep this position during this entire excercise.

Week 1:
Leap Ups 1 set 50 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 10 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 10 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 15 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 50 reps

Week 2:
Leap Ups 1 set 100 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 20 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 15 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 20 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 100 reps

Week 3:
Leap Ups 1 set 125 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 25 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 15 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 25 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 150 reps

Week 4:
Leap Ups 1 set 150 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 30 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 20 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 30 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 200 reps

Week 5:
Leap Ups 2 sets 100 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 35 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 20 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 35 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 250 reps

Week 6:
Leap Ups 2 sets 125 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 40 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 25 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 40 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 300 reps

Week 7:
Leap Ups 2 sets 150 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 45 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 25 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 45 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 350 reps

Week 8:
Leap Ups 2 sets 200 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 50 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 30 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 50 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 400 reps

Week 9:
Leap Ups 2 sets 250 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 55 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 20 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 55 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 450 reps

Week 10:
Leap Ups 2 sets 300 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 60 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 35 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 60 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 500 reps

Week 11:
Leap Ups 2 sets 350 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 65 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 35 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 65 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 550 reps

Week 12:
Leap Ups 2 sets 400 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets 70 reps
Step Ups 2 sets 40 reps
Thrust Ups 2 sets 70 reps
Burn Outs 1 set 600 reps

That's not good?

What do you recommend? HOw many inches could I increase my vertical, really, in 4 months?

Bodyweight only execises only work on beginners and people who don't jump a lot or very hard. They didn't work for me, because I'm quite an advanced jumper already, and I jump very hard everytime, I already have the technique down. I just need the strength and power so weights is much better. You only have to look at how big and heavy Olympic Lifters are, and then look at their verticals of 36 to 43+ inches! And they don't even do plyometrics or any jump training.
Imagined if they did! They would be good for another 6+ inches or so.

Some guy on another board said the people he were training were all around 300lbs in bodyweight and they all increased their verticals 4-6 inches or so after 2 months of Cleans, Snatches and Squats.

the schedule he gave was wrong its not that high but it is still high. that might be air alert one cuz i did air alert two. but the same workouts are done and it is still mon to fri but the reps are all wrong.

Well, that's the program someone said they gained 10 inches on and someone else said they gained a lot too...

I'm gonna try it, I think......

yo man i tried it i put alot of work into it and it didnt work. and i think it made my knees weaker but you can try it if you want but, i dont know bout all those reps if you are a starter at plys you want even last for the first week leap ups are a killer.

I suggest you do it 3 times a week - Mon, Weds and Friday instead of the 5 days in a row as stated in the program, and don't play ball on the weekend, REST. Once you finish the porgram then go and play ball. You only improve once the msucle has been rested and rebuilt itself.

Measure your vertical first thing every Monday.

I'm not gonna do that, it's just too much volume and would add too much time to my routine...

What do you recommend? I can't squat heavy--no rack or spotter.. I do front squats though...

Thanks

Try that routine above from Fred Hatfield II,

You don't need a spotter since you don't really need to go to failure. And if you have a power rack to squat in, if you fail just drop the bar on the safety rails.

Front squats are fine though. Damn hard to do though and you can't lift as much weight. I'm trying em out now. I have the flexibility in my wrists to do it, but I can't leave the bar on my chest like that guy in video above can do it without the bar rolling off :)

I've started adding in jump squats at the start of my workout and I tell ya its hard. Still getting into the groove though. Makes my front delts real sore.

It seems like a lot of lifts...

here is my split now:

Mon: Chest/Tri's/Abs
Tu: Legs
Wed: Abs
Thur: Back/Bi's/Forearms
Fri: Shoulders/Abs
Sat and sun: OFF

I do clean and a few others spread out during the week... If I added those to each day, it would make my routint REALLY long..

I don't have a rack... So I just do fronts

Top Bottom