Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Urgent Information From The Beast!! Weigh Your Plates!!

WalkingBeast

Elite Dementor
Platinum
Hey all!! I read a thread a while ago that talked about plates being different weights and not accurate to what they say. To everyone bencing 315+ its especially significant. I just increased my reps from 315x8 (last week at another gym) to 315x11 at my most recent gym. Thats a 3 rep increase. All you freaks out there should appreciate this. I did a little research on the subject cuz I felt something was different. The thicker plates always felt lighter to me, but turns out its more then mental. I weighed in the thick plates at 44lbs each. If your benching with 6 plates thats a 6lb difference. That can make quite a difference when your repping weight, or even a one rep max. If your bencing 4+ plates a side its atleast 8lb difference. Then they had these higher quality plates that would weigh in at 45 on the dot. I didnt realize it before, but gym plates arent made to very accurate standards. Using these thick plates my strength is back. It could be possible I was having a weak day last week, but Im sure it was the plates. My training partner had the same problem. Ill be taking the 40 minute drive as opposed to 25 mins to train with the thick plates. If I can screw the system in anyway, ILL KILL THAT SHIT!! haha Whos to say what scale is truly accurate, but there was definately a pound difference with the thick Ivanko plates as opposed to the skinnier ones, and the ones with wholes in them. Im fucking obsessive about this shit, but hopefully it can benefit you as well!! Even the 35's can be a pound off. Ive heard of plates being over 2lbs off. I wouldnt reccomend weighing each plate, but get an idea for the types of plates. Can help with getting more PR's. As far as Im concerned 3 Ivanko plates is 315 when I write it down. KEEP KILLING THAT SHIT!!

Thanks.

I think you actually can weigh the plates in your gym - but just weigh the ones you plan to use once, and mark them with a small piece of masking tape so you know which ones are good in the future.

Synpax said:
Thanks.

I think you actually can weigh the plates in your gym - but just weigh the ones you plan to use once, and mark them with a small piece of masking tape so you know which ones are good in the future.

No problem brother!! Thatll work!! Could even use permanent marker. The plates I use are black, but they have white markers too. I havent taken it that far yet!! haha The gym Im training chest at now only has maybe 6 thick plates. So I always have to hunt those ones down. Those who are deadlifting over 600lbs the difference can be over 12lbs, which is alot when going for PR's. Its real significant for someone who trains at multiple gyms like I do. Its Important to understand why you may be weaker at another gym or bench. Could be the plates! It was for me. If you train at the same gym consistently its still useful, cuz plates can differ within a single gym as well. And they do. KEEP KILLING THAT SHIT!!

most of the PL'ers I talk to always count it as 44lbs. I believe most are made to 20kg which turns out to be 44.1 lbs.

my $.02

bignate73 said:
most of the PL'ers I talk to always count it as 44lbs. I believe most are made to 20kg which turns out to be 44.1 lbs.

my $.02

I believe these ones say theyre over 22 kg. Twenty-two point something if I remember correctly. Ill have to check to be sure. ThanX brother!!

bignate73 said:

Your probabally right about the 20kg on the plates. I just checked my benching pics for refferrence and the 45lb plates I used dont have a kilogram amount listed on them. Just 45lbs. But weigh in at 44lbs most of the time it seems. These plates:

49062P1010033-med.JPG

I think its the skinny plates that have a kilogram listing on them. And its probabally 20kg like you said. Memory is probabally just FUCKED up. haha Now that I think of it, not sure who makes them either. Just know those are the ones I like to use on all my lifts. ThanX again!!

I remember a thread a while ago about a guy complaining that his right side was stronger on bench than his left. Turns out that the plates on the right side were under a pound or two. WHen you think about it, in a gym with alot of plates, you always put the plates back on the same side of the bench so if you never weighed the plates you would think that it's you, not the weights.

I like the idea of "underestimating" the weights (counting 45lbs as 44lbs) too,

Not that picky, I dont care if it's off by a few pounds as I dont train for strength or PR's.

True...it only matters if the absolute weight matters to you. I don't care if the big plates in my gym are 44 or 45lbs because I'm always referencing to what I lifted last time. I don't really care if it's 221 or 225 as long as I can measure prgress. Of course this assumes always going to the same gym otherwise you have no idea how things compare.

This is an especially important point for anyone training for PL comps though who need to know EXACTLY how much weight they are pushing.

yomama said:
Not that picky, I dont care if it's off by a few pounds as I dont train for strength or PR's.

Top Bottom