Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Urge is gone -- I mean gone

Do you ever get into those periods when you just don't want to train any longer? Well, I am there. I have absolutely no desire to go to the gym. I felt I was overtraining about four weeks ago, so I took a complete week off. When I came back, I modified my routine and backed off on my volume. It's two weeks later and I am right back in the same boat. I forced myself to hit the gym yesterday and had at most an average workout -- I felt like everyone else in the gym. I have been training for about seven years now and have never hit this kind of wall before. I have been looking on the web all morning, searching for a new program, system, style to try in the gym hoping to spark some excitement. Nothing ,zero, nadda -- the desire is just not there. Anyone have any advice to get through this funk -- I am looking to the serious guys for here for some advice - people who have trained seriously for a considerable amount of time. After a while this become a way of life -- not something we do. It concerns me when I begin to question my way of life. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bro, what your feeling is completely natural. I ahve been training for over 11 years and have gone through many stages similar to th one your in now. I dont know how old you are, but for me, my job which is in finance really hindered my schedule to workout however, I adapted. Thats what the fitness lifestyle is all about, adapting. If you are over trained it may require more than 1 week off my friend. About 3 years ago I felt so turned off by the gym I couldnt lift a wieght for a month. But, when I came back within a week my strength was back and I felt rejuvinated. Currently I workout for 4-5 weeks straight then take a week off where I do nothing. This has helped me get through many plateaus. As we get older and have to take on more responsibility it does become harder to dedicate so much to the sport, however it is possible. I would first get a physical from your doctor to make sure your OK and then evaluate your time schedule and especially diet. Lack of proper nutrition will hurt your mental focus big time, not to mention your energy level. Your not alone bro, its just part of the game.

Yeah its natural. Just take a couple weeks off, and most likely you'll come back to the gym stronger and more intense than before:) Don't just give up. If you've been doing it this long, why stop now?

I wouldnt take any time off.Been my experiance you just got put your head down and work through it.Good Luck:)

I am an attorney, therefore, my schedule can be quite hectic. However, I have really never had a problem finding my gym time. I also turned thirty about a month ago but I have been trying not to take age into account -- don't plan on slowing down simply because of age. Thanks for the advice guys -- just need to find my spark again.

hey max intensity:
i totally agree with punch on this one. ive felt the same way too, my routine is i go to the gym 6 weeks straight, then take a week or two off. i stay away from the gym totally, i do something different: id hit the bag, play ball, and do something fun, but stay away from the gym. then when you return to the gym, youll be refreshed, my strenght even went up from the breaks. i also change my workout routine every two weeks so that i shock my body, and get more excited about the new routine. give it a try and good luck

M.I. -- I'm an attorney too, and I get ,ight cranky when I can't make it to the gym. And if I let it go once or twice then it's hard for me to get motivated to go back at all -- it's a momentum thing.
Sometimes you do just have to force yourself to go. But if you find the motivation lacking after a week of forcing yourself, then a layoff -- or a vacation -- may be in order.
Have you found similar problems in the other areas of your life too? That usually goes hand-in-hand.

Yep -- I find that my focus at work is less than par as well. Can't seem to keep my mind on any one thing -- drives me nuts because it really starts to hurt my work product if I am not careful. It definetely affects the amount of work I am generating. You are correct -- they do seem to go hand in hand.

This very well may be physical in nature (in which case you will need more time off), but it sounds more mental to me.

If it's a lack of drive you are experiencing, you must reevaluate why you started this lifestyle in the first place. If you can feel good about yourself through training and allow it to define you, you will never want its absence in your life. Let training validate your existence, let it differentiate you from the masses of those who eat Burger King daily and could care less about about their vitality, health, and looks. Being an attorney, you have a white collar job, like myself, and as such you spend the majority of the working day physically inactive...dealing with mental challenges and stresses. When your work day is over, look forward to the physical onslaught that hardcore training provides. You've used your head all day, now use your body.

Fear becoming soft and weak. Cherish the mental fortitude it takes for you to command your body to withstand the pain of balls-to-the-wall training. Take those mental characteristics that enable you to physically outperform others and wear it like a badge. You have withstood the pain of training and the discipline of proper dieting...those rewards are yours and yours only, you reap them. Very few things in life are so simple, with such a clear cause/effect equation. Where else in life is all your hard work reaped only by you? The inspiration and motivation is internal as well as external. You must stay mentally tough. If you quit training, you will lose all of this. How are you any different from the masses then? Where will your pride rest, what kind of badge will you wear then?

Envision what you want to look like. Bring it back, be superior, put gravel in your gut. You are a warrior and the gym is your domian, your battlefield. Show us why God made you a man...validate yourself. This is your lifeline. It gives you reason for existence. Strap in, dig in, clench your teeth, and go. Once back in the game you'll thrive.

Good luck MI. :cool:

Top Bottom