Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper-middle back...help

halfaclue

Banned
I'm going to make some adjustments in my HST routine..right now here is how it starts:
squats X 2
SLDL X 2
Pull ups X2
Bent Over row should width grip, over hand grip X1

I'm going to switch from pull ups to lat pulls this time around and I want to add an excercise that will help develop the lower traps and back btween the should blades. The width in my back and come up nicely but I'm still lacking size in the middle. Suggestions for excercises that will isolate that?

Rows...? Try a row that comes down slightly from horizontal, so that you're pulling slightly from up to down as well as towards your body. Like 90% row, 10% pullup

casualbb said:
Rows...? Try a row that comes down slightly from horizontal, so that you're pulling slightly from up to down as well as towards your body. Like 90% row, 10% pullup

Maybe use the seated row bar on the lat pull down and lean back so I'm almost lying down but not quite and pull in that way???

deadlifts then more deadlifts followed by more deadlifts ;)
personally i think pullups/chins are a better exercise than lat pulls..and yes i do lat pulls

I agree that pullups/chinups are superior to pulldowns, but I can't get my back to contract while doing them, so I do pulldowns instead. Part of this is I'm not strong enough at my bodyweight to do 6-10 pullups, but it's also that they just don't seem to hit my back as well as pulldowns. Weird, but it works for me.

Oh ya, the upper middle back is also comprised of the trapezius too. Dumbell shrugs leaning over about 30 degrees will hit that area nicely too.

row, row, row....to get your mid lower traps to grow, grow grow! just dont sacrafice shoulder blade movement for weight. many times it becomes a rounded back pull to the stomach...all arm, no back.

Ya, I've been working on the arch on my rows alot. I used to do them round back with one knee on the bench and wondered why I couldn't get them to contract the way I wanted to. Then instead of keeping my palm flat on the bench I raised up my hand onto the fingertips sorta and make sure to keep my ass down, chest and shoulders back. Now they cramp pretty good.

I'm almost 270lbs so I can not do many pull-ups so for the 15's and 10's of HST I have to do weight assisted and I think it is hindering my gains because of the way the weight moves..it almost excelerates towards the peak of contraction where that is where I want to be doing the most work. That is why I was going to switch to lat pulls...at least for a 6-8 weeks and then maybe i'll switch back. I try working in some row movements to help the middle back. Thanks guys.

halfaclue said:
I'm almost 270lbs so I can not do many pull-ups so for the 15's and 10's of HST I have to do weight assisted and I think it is hindering my gains because of the way the weight moves..it almost excelerates towards the peak of contraction where that is where I want to be doing the most work. That is why I was going to switch to lat pulls...at least for a 6-8 weeks and then maybe i'll switch back. I try working in some row movements to help the middle back. Thanks guys.
dont let that stop you..nothing wrong with doing assisted pull/chins..unfortunately doing sets of 15 will do nothing to increase lat strength..i worked them low reps (5-6) on the assist until i could get to bw..treat it like anything else keep bumping the weight up each week..

like i said i dont think there is anything wrong with lat pulls (i do them myself) but if your limited with the number of exercises you can do i would rather do chins/pulls than lat pulls..just my 02..

Top Bottom