Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper/lower trap strength ratio?

steveo26486

As the title says
I had an chronic pain in my traps because of a strength imbalance in my upper/lower traps. Since I started training the lower traps its getting better slowly thou
Im also doing the kelso shrug aswell to help improve my posture.
I know that the traps are responsible elevation, retraction and depression of the blades but can anyone tell me what the strength ratio should be for upper/lower traps please?
Or if its even matters
It took nearly a year to find a PT that new it was posture related!
tks

I think your problem is more then just muscular. I think your spine might also be out of place. I would book an appointment with a chiropractor and get x-rays done.

It's almost impossible to isolate your upper/lower traps. In other words, pretty much every exercise that trains traps trains BOTH the upper and lower traps.

Take narrow grip seated rows for example. It's known as a rhomboid and lower trap exercise but it also trains your biceps and upper traps.

Usually when someone has a major muscular imbalance, it's due to a posture issue from a spine imbalance.

I agree with Muskate and Steve.
1) I'm not sure how it'd be measured.
2) Train for balance over show.
3) Work a pure trap exercise (so shrugs) AND mid-back rows. Ronnie Coleman did 2 back exercises per week. So the other one would be width (lat pulls for example) and lower back thickness (deadlifts).

The pain actually started when i took 2 months off to study for an exam, so would say its definitely related to sitting at the laptop 6 hours a day!
My PT said it was posture related but wasn't sure why the pain is still not gone. I even had 6 sessions of dry needling to get rid of all the active triggers.

I am currently doing deads, cable rows & pulldowns on back day.
and after chest - seated BB press (No back rest), kelso shrug & reverse cable shrugs on shoulder day.
All recommended for posture

I probably am over thinking it so will give it another a month and if not better will go see a chiropractor and get checked out.
Tks for the advice
Cheers

@muskate is right - there is something wrong with the spine there - either the posture, or something having to do with a dislocation. It would definitely be a good idea to visit a chiropractor.

Top Bottom