Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper/Lower Split for hypertrophy??

JDid23

Hey guys. As some of you know i recently got off 5/3/1 and have been doing a day for bench, squat, military, and deadlift + assistance with my own set rep range. I am a lot stronger than I look with at first glance (although I'm still not that strong), and I definitely want to put on some size.

How does something like this look as a rough outline for an upper/lower body split?

Upper Body 1
Military Press- 3x8-12
Pullups- 4 sets x sub failure
Dips- 5 sets x sub failure
Lat Raises- 3x10
Skull Crushers- 4x12

Lower Body 1
Deadlift- 3x8
Bulgarian Split Squat- 3x10
Pullthroughs- 4x12
Calves- high volume
Lunges- 3x20

Upper Body 2
Bench Press- 3x8
DB Rows- 4x8-12
Shrugs- 3x15
Incline DB Bench- 3x12
Curl Variant- 4 sets

Lower Body 2
Front Squat- 3x8
1 legged DB RDL- 4x10
Leg Press- 3x12
Calves- high volume
Good Mornings- 3x10

- This is just a rough outline i made. I still like prioritizing military/bench/squat/deads.. Does something like this look ok? Any input is much appreciated- thanks.

Also as a side note, i am really starting to like front squats a lot more than back squats. They feel much better on my knees when I go ATG, and it just feels like a more natural movement all together.

try it. it looks ok. it looks pretty heavy on the leg days in terms of sets in my opinion. but try it and see how it works out.

upper/lower is the best imo, if you notice 5/3/1 is pretty much alternating between upper and lower anyway...

southernlord in here saying how good upper/lower is in 3....2....1

try it. it looks ok. it looks pretty heavy on the leg days in terms of sets in my opinion. but try it and see how it works out.

Thanks. I was thinking something similar on leg days, but wasn't too sure since i have never really done such high volume.

Also, what would you guys recommend for forearm work? I feel like I should hit my forearms directly since i've never done that before. Also going to add abs in when time permits.

Thanks. I was thinking something similar on leg days, but wasn't too sure since i have never really done such high volume.

Also, what would you guys recommend for forearm work? I feel like I should hit my forearms directly since i've never done that before. Also going to add abs in when time permits.

I would suggest wrist curls and towel grip pullups. I would definiely work your core more too

upper/lower is the best imo, if you notice 5/3/1 is pretty much alternating between upper and lower anyway...

southernlord in here saying how good upper/lower is in 3....2....1

lol

I have some progression and rep range ideas I'll post in here later for you to check out J.

Hey guys. As some of you know i recently got off 5/3/1 and have been doing a day for bench, squat, military, and deadlift + assistance with my own set rep range. I am a lot stronger than I look with at first glance (although I'm still not that strong), and I definitely want to put on some size.

How does something like this look as a rough outline for an upper/lower body split?

Upper Body 1
Military Press- 3x8-12
Pullups- 4 sets x sub failure
Dips- 5 sets x sub failure
Lat Raises- 3x10
Skull Crushers- 4x12

Lower Body 1
Deadlift- 3x8
Bulgarian Split Squat- 3x10
Pullthroughs- 4x12
Calves- high volume
Lunges- 3x20

Upper Body 2
Bench Press- 3x8
DB Rows- 4x8-12
Shrugs- 3x15
Incline DB Bench- 3x12
Curl Variant- 4 sets

Lower Body 2
Front Squat- 3x8
1 legged DB RDL- 4x10
Leg Press- 3x12
Calves- high volume
Good Mornings- 3x10

- This is just a rough outline i made. I still like prioritizing military/bench/squat/deads.. Does something like this look ok? Any input is much appreciated- thanks.

Also as a side note, i am really starting to like front squats a lot more than back squats. They feel much better on my knees when I go ATG, and it just feels like a more natural movement all together.

J, are you doing straight sets for your main lifts or ramping up?

I'm doing basically the same as you, but I'm using straight sets and rotating through rep ranges with my main exercises (squat, ohp, dead, bench). All my accessory work is done in the 8-12 rep range with leg work in the 12-25 rep range using super sets and other puketastic methods lol

Example,,,,, after warm up sets....

Week 1 - Squat 3x8 with 100 pounds

Week 2 - Squat 4x6 with 110 pounds

Week 3 - Squat 3x5 with 120 pounds

Week 4 - Rotation starts over,, Squat 3x8 with 110 pounds

Week 5 - Squat 4x6 with 120 pounds

Week 6 - Squat 3x5 with 130 pounds

Week 7 - Haven't made it this far yet, but by here I will likely need to deload.

See the progression? It's kinda a spin on the 5/3/1, but working through the hypertrophy rep ranges using straight sets for added volume. There is a definite strength progression involved which I love. It's working for me so far, and I'm getting in a lot more volume on the main lifts compared to just ramping up.

Actually, I'll say it's a lot harder than it looks on paper. The 3x8 and 4x6 with straight sets fucking kills.

It's something to think about if you want some sort of structured progression to your routine. I have OCD so this works perfectly for me lol.

J, are you doing straight sets for your main lifts or ramping up?

I'm doing basically the same as you, but I'm using straight sets and rotating through rep ranges with my main exercises (squat, ohp, dead, bench). All my accessory work is done in the 8-12 rep range with leg work in the 12-25 rep range using super sets and other puketastic methods lol

Example,,,,, after warm up sets....

Week 1 - Squat 3x8 with 100 pounds

Week 2 - Squat 4x6 with 110 pounds

Week 3 - Squat 3x5 with 120 pounds

Week 4 - Rotation starts over,, Squat 3x8 with 110 pounds

Week 5 - Squat 4x6 with 120 pounds

Week 6 - Squat 3x5 with 130 pounds

Week 7 - Haven't made it this far yet, but by here I will likely need to deload.

See the progression? It's kinda a spin on the 5/3/1, but working through the hypertrophy rep ranges using straight sets for added volume. There is a definite strength progression involved which I love. It's working for me so far, and I'm getting in a lot more volume on the main lifts compared to just ramping up.

Actually, I'll say it's a lot harder than it looks on paper. The 3x8 and 4x6 with straight sets fucking kills.

It's something to think about if you want some sort of structured progression to your routine. I have OCD so this works perfectly for me lol.

Thanks for the post. I might try something like that with front squats once i get used to them and see where I am as far as weight goes since I do like that way of progression.

I am thinking of doing working sets with the same weight, and once i hit a given weight for the set amount of reps, I will move up. Example: 3x8-12 military press. If i hit 85x3x12, I'll move up and if i hit 90x3x8, I'll go until i hit 10 or 12 reps.

Also, do you have any suggestions for supersets/exercise choices? I have never really done supersets, and would love to add some new methods to my training.

Thanks for the post. I might try something like that with front squats once i get used to them and see where I am as far as weight goes since I do like that way of progression.

I am thinking of doing working sets with the same weight, and once i hit a given weight for the set amount of reps, I will move up. Example: 3x8-12 military press. If i hit 85x3x12, I'll move up and if i hit 90x3x8, I'll go until i hit 10 or 12 reps.

Also, do you have any suggestions for supersets/exercise choices? I have never really done supersets, and would love to add some new methods to my training.

Well, for upperbody I don't really superset. I basically do my main lift then alternate the accessory exercises to cut back on time and keep my heart rate up. So, tomorrow as an example I'll do OHP as my main lift then alternate between DB rows and Dips, then overhead extensions and fatgrip BB curls. I'll rest 30 seconds to a minute between the supersets.

Legs are a different story. MY legs are really strong, but lacking in size. On my squat day and my deadlift day I'm actually training with a BBer and he's been putting me through his quad workout to help bring up my leg size.

Supersets, constant tension sets, fucking 100 rep drop sets on the leg press. It's pretty fucking brutal.

I've noticed some growth and density since I've been doing this (about a month). Hitting hams on deadlift day seems to be working as well too.

you should get some progress pics from before and after the high volume legs, I would like to see how well 100rep dropsets work for quads lol. Dont you find it damages your squat strength?

do you do a similar style of training for hams too? I thought that would be hard as hamstring exercises are so limited: GM, RDL/SLDL, GHR, variations of Leg curls...

Top Bottom