Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper chest workout questions

Seansean

Banned
Ok, so ive just started working my upper chest with: incline dumbell presses, incline bench, and incline flyes. The problem is im only feeling fatigue in my front delts not upper pec at all. What am i doing wrong?

Your form might be off, check on youtube and make sure your doing everything correctly. But dont you think 3 things for incline is a little much?

i only add one upper chest exercise per chest workout! i dont focus on each area!
If you destroy the chest on flat, upper will grow also!
Could also be technique!

generally for incline exercises the bench should be at a 45 degree.

something i have just started doing in incline presses on a smyth machine but only doing the bottom 2/3's of the exercise. i have been finding this keeps more tension on my chest and i don't feel my tricepts or front delts in the exercise as much

Alright thanks for the tips, ill definately check my form and the incline angle. I agree three excersises is alot but on that day i only do lats and chest, and i start really heavy and end light so i hit slow and fast twitch fibers.

Slow twitch fibers is not something that you want to work. If you do, the typeII fibers (which are your fast and strong fibers) can start taking the function of TypeI (Which you don't want). Make sure you are explosive off the bottom...but safe. You don't want to mess up your tendons. Stay away from the smith machine as it doesn't add to functional strength and can lead to stabilizer problems easily. The smith is a garbage.

When I used to bodybuild I used to put the angle of the bench about 30 degrees. Take your shoulder blades and pinch them back and down. It should set your shoulder girdle which will help your form tremendously and also put pressure on the pecs instead of the delts. That should help. I also would only do one exercise for upper. Overkill is not needed.

Ok thats some good info, ill stick to only incline benches, maybe 6-8 sets? Why dont i want to work slow twitch? Does it not provide as much mass as fast twitch?

When you think of the difference between fast twitch vs. Slow Twitch, I want you think of runners:

Marathon runners are predominantly slow twitch. They have many mitochondria which allow for them to not get tired and sustain over a long people of time. Look at the marathon runner. This is by no means meant to be disrespectful to marathoners, but they do not have a lot of muscle mass and their bodyfat tends to be on the higher side.

Sprinters are predominantly fast twitch. Fast twitch fibers are strong, fast and explosive. They tend to tire quickly and also tend to get hurt more easily than slow twitch due to the explosive manner in which they function. Sprinters are usually lean, muscular and look athletic. When is the last time you saw more than a handful of marathon runners looking like Ben Johnson or Carl Lewis? Not many times I can remember.

What I am saying is you want to have more TypeII fibers because they are strong, explosive, large and fast. You can go down on the rep slower if you want because it will increase time under tension....which I think is a little overrated in my opinion....but I digress. When you do the concentric (Positive portion of a lift), make sure to explode up in everything. Remember, Force=mass x acceleration. The body doesn't know that you are using 135lbs for it to adapt. It only knows the force that you are putting behind it...so explode the reps to work the TypeII(fast twitch) fibers.

Does that make sense?

Ya dude that totally makes sense and also fills in some blanks ive been wondering about. Thanks alot for all the advise, ill post again after my next chest workout.

Top Bottom