Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is this typical?

jloflexin405

Well I checked out Yamasaki (BJJ school in DC) on Saturday and the location I went to was very small, only about 10 guys. They don't teach any striking...which I was kind of disapointed about. Alos they don't work a lot of take-downs b/c the room was small and for various other reasons. From my knowledge this isn't typical of all BJJ schools. I was kinda looking for more a a street style of fighting, striking,take-downs, and submissions. I am going to check out Capital JJ and see what it is like. I am not totally throwing out Yamasaki, I may stay b/c they can work me into MT classes before and after. Is no striking and little take dwon work typical of BJJ schools?

jloflexin405 said:
Well I checked out Yamasaki (BJJ school in DC) on Saturday and the location I went to was very small, only about 10 guys. They don't teach any striking...which I was kind of disapointed about. Alos they don't work a lot of take-downs b/c the room was small and for various other reasons. From my knowledge this isn't typical of all BJJ schools. I was kinda looking for more a a street style of fighting, striking,take-downs, and submissions. I am going to check out Capital JJ and see what it is like. I am not totally throwing out Yamasaki, I may stay b/c they can work me into MT classes before and after. Is no striking and little take dwon work typical of BJJ schools?

What do you mean by "small" what do you think were the dimensions of the place...

Most MA schools in big cities are small. The rent is high and they don't make a lot of money.

Hummm, maybe 25'X30' that is just a rough estimate. U were able to run very smal laps inside, but there was not enough matting to cover the entire floor making it unsuitable for throws and some takedowns.

jloflexin405 said:
Hummm, maybe 25'X30' that is just a rough estimate. U were able to run very smal laps inside, but there was not enough matting to cover the entire floor making it unsuitable for throws and some takedowns.

hummm. I guess I would have to see the place to really know.

that should be plenty of space to practice takedowns.

the handful of schools that i have gone to for bjj focus almost 80-90% of the time teaching ground skills.

although i did get taught standup techniques as well and most said they do show new people the standing techniques and they also knew i competed in judo so that definately helped.

go check out a class or two, talk to the instructor and some students and ask them some questions.

Let's face it, most self defense situations are close quarter and require more of the take downs and holds, you can train striking on your own.

Top Bottom