Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trying to increase vertical while on a 5x5 program

Basikstylz

Okay so I am currently in my 5th week of my 5x5 program and I am loving it. But, I also wanna work on my verticle. I don't have dreams of being in the NBA or anything.... but it would be a beautiful thing to out rebound my boys on the court...especially since they are taller.

So my question is... will doing things like box jumps and other plyometric workouts on my "non lifting" days hinder my lifting days? I wonder cuz I squat every day I lift in this program.

Currently I lift MWF, Tuesday is my bball day and thur,sat,sun I useually work in some cardio or sports.

What days would be best for me to work on my verticle? is it better to do it on my lifting days after I have lifted or work it in on a day I'm not lifting? Also any suggestions on what kind of exercises would be apperciated as well.

The best thing i have seen to increase Vert and rather quickly are Strength Shoe:D. Yes they do work and very well i might add. You can read more on them if you want.

The strength shoe or jump soles work... but they work mainly because of the "program" that goes along with the shoes, not so much the shoes themselves....at least thats my understanding. Plus I don't feel like spending 100+ on them.

any other idea?

do your plyos on days you don't do weights. playing bball is probably all the plyo workout you need though until you can squat at least 2x your body weight. do a search on google for vertical forums and read up.

play more basketball! Not only will your game get better, but you will jump higher. and jumpsoels work not only becasue of the program, you can do your own basics with them and increase your vertical ie. jumprope, sprints, differnt hops/jumps, look on ebay you can pick a pair up for 60 bucks, less than most shoes in a store cost.

You can substitite cleans for rows on monday and Friday. Cleans help develop explosive power which should help your verticle.

Olympic lifters don't train their vertical at all but from doing the explosive lifts they have big verticals.

originally this routine was written for football specific strength so i'm guessing that it works well with the cleans as dj suggested. beyond this i'm not in a position to guide you about using 5x5 to improve athletic ability.

another option i would look at if i were you is defranco's westside for skinny bastards. check it out.

silver_shadow said:
originally this routine was written for football specific strength so i'm guessing that it works well with the cleans as dj suggested. beyond this i'm not in a position to guide you about using 5x5 to improve athletic ability.

another option i would look at if i were you is defranco's westside for skinny bastards. check it out.

It originally calls for power cleans on mon/ wed instead of rows. and high pulls instead of deads on Wed. But madcow dumbed it down/ simplified it for us regular folk :)

It's easier to get proper from for deads and rows, then cleans and high pulls.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to keep working on my squats/cleans and just play as much ball as I can. then try to throw some box jumps and jumping exercises in on the days I'm not doin anything.

Top Bottom