Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trying to cut up...at what point do you start losing MUSCLE!!

M56M

I am 5'8'', 190lbs(about), 11%BF(?).

I want to cut up but i am so paraniod about losing muscle, it seems i am always changing my diet around, and cardio constantly. At what point do you lose muscle and what is the best diet to go about not losing any. I tried the diet board but all that you can get is CKD info.
What training, diet, and cardio is reccommended. When does your body start using muscle as fuel? before fat or after? I know it uses carbs first, whats secondary?
Very confused.
Thanks alot for the help.
M56M

This is gonna be long.....first off

Diet: for the first two weeks you'll be eating six small meals a day (you need to eat about every 2-2.5 hours, make sure you don't go over 3 hours without eating). You need to get each meal to have the same nutritional value of protein, carbs, and fat. For you it needs to be 30g of carbs, 40g of protien, and 6g of fat. For the next two weeks deplete your carbs down to 20g per meal and increase your protein to 50g per meal, this will make your fat intake 6-8 g per meal. Make sure you eat clean carbs....by saying clean I mean eat brown rice or pasta...it tastes the same as white it's just that white rice or pasta has preservatives and addatives in it. Don't eat bread...bread makes your insulin spike and causes you to store fat.

cardio: You need to keep your heart at 70% of it's max. to find this out use this little formula.
(220- (your age))*.7.........to make it a little easier to figure out your heart rate.....divide that number by 6 and that will be your target heart rate for every 10 seconds.....do NOT go over your target heart rate....if you go over the 70% mark then your body goes into an aenerobic state. That means that you'll be either building muscle or tearing it down (which is not what you want to do). you can go a little lower than that but do not go lower then 55% of your max heart rate (to figure that out just replace .7 with .55 in that formula).
you need to do cardio for about 30 min. a day.

if you have any other questions or if I wasn't clear enough about this for you then feel free to pm me with anything that you need.....I'll try to help out in any way I can.

Thanks alot for the help bro, its really appreicated. Do you think i will lose alot of muscle on this diet even if i am coming off a cycle of EQ. Gained about 20lbs but i ate everything in site.

Thanks bro.
M56M

you will loose a little but that's just because you're coming off of a cycle....just keep your protein at what I said and the loss will be minimal.....it will mostly be fat. Any other questions just pm me.....it took me forever to find this post again!!!

bigmag said:
do NOT go over your target heart rate....if you go over the 70% mark then your body goes into an aenerobic state. That means that you'll be either building muscle or tearing it down (which is not what you want to do). you can go a little lower than that but do not go lower then 55% of your max heart rate (to figure that out just replace .7 with .55 in that formula).

actually anything over 70% roughly is considered cardiovascular endurance. its not anaerobic unless you are unconditioned then you go into oxygen deficit. stick with 50-70% for fat burning. if you are looking for a more endurance oriented workout with the possibility of burning up some muscle then you would go higher than 70. 55% THR and 50% of your calories are from stored bodyfat. the number drops to 33% @ 70% THR, but the calories are higher.

you basically just said what I told him....just in different words....but I still don't think you know what you're talking about.

youre right. maybe ill throw these studies away that tell the percentage of calories burned at particular heart rates, which make the difference between possibly losing muscle or not.

above 70% is ANAEROBIC? no. anaerobic activity is acheived if you are performing at a maximal effort and your cardiovascular system is not able to keep up (weight training, short bursts of expended energy that dont allow for your heart rate to be increased or breathing rate to increase) ie the amount of oxygen necessary for an aerobic energy cycle is insufficient so the body goes anaerobic. cardio training ABOVE 70% is to increase the bodies efficiency in working at that range, which in turn decreases resting heart rate and lowers your breathing rate. thats the benefit of working at a higher THR.

how come your version of the karvonen formula didnt factor out his resting heart rate? thats important too, otherwise at 55% he could actually be at 40% and getting nothing out of this. if you really want to know how this is done......

i think i know what im talking about. its my job.

bigmag said:
This is gonna be long.....first off

Diet: for the first two weeks you'll be eating six small meals a day (you need to eat about every 2-2.5 hours, make sure you don't go over 3 hours without eating). You need to get each meal to have the same nutritional value of protein, carbs, and fat. For you it needs to be 30g of carbs, 40g of protien, and 6g of fat. For the next two weeks deplete your carbs down to 20g per meal and increase your protein to 50g per meal, this will make your fat intake 6-8 g per meal. Make sure you eat clean carbs....by saying clean I mean eat brown rice or pasta...it tastes the same as white it's just that white rice or pasta has preservatives and addatives in it. Don't eat bread...bread makes your insulin spike and causes you to store fat.

cardio: You need to keep your heart at 70% of it's max. to find this out use this little formula.
(220- (your age))*.7.........to make it a little easier to figure out your heart rate.....divide that number by 6 and that will be your target heart rate for every 10 seconds.....do NOT go over your target heart rate....if you go over the 70% mark then your body goes into an aenerobic state. That means that you'll be either building muscle or tearing it down (which is not what you want to do). you can go a little lower than that but do not go lower then 55% of your max heart rate (to figure that out just replace .7 with .55 in that formula).

if you have any other questions or if I wasn't clear enough about this for you then feel free to pm me with anything that you need.....I'll try to help out in any way I can.

hehe, interesting, i just read over this more thoroughly.
"white rice has preservatives and additives", brown doesnt? white rice is just a different type of rice, people prefer brown because of the fiber content and the volume you get from it. processed white flour is to be avoided only because much of the fiber and nutrient content is lost in the processing, whereas whole grains retain more.

bread makes you fat.......
nope, excess calories make you fat. granted breads are easy to eat, so could be misconstrued as being the cause of gaining fat. as for insulin release....it takes alot more than some bread to have chronically high insulin to the point of converting blood sugar to fat. again, if hes not high in sugar intake, obese, high fat diet, or in an energy excess....the insulin wont make a difference.

over 70% anaerobic. either "building muscle or tearing it down" eh? no. anaerobic energy production is just a means of producing energy in the absence of oxygen. just because weight training is considered anaerobic, doesnt mean its ANABOLIC. nor does it mean its the stimulus for anabolism either. aerobic exercise will tear down muscle if the rate is too fast that stored bodyfat and glycogen cant meet the needs of the energy expenditure. thats why low intensity aerobic training is more suitable for bodybuilders (which you said). but by no means is it dangerous to go over 70%, nor uncommon for a more conditioned athlete.

thats my $.02 for that reply. hehe

Top Bottom