Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

tri before pecs

nextsean

I usually try to avoid working out my tri the day before I work my pecs. My reasoning for this is I will need my supporting muscle to push myself hard on my pecs day.

One might argue that you do not want to use the supporting muscle since you need to concentrate on your pecs as much as possible.

What's your workout routine like? Do you work your tri day(s) before pecs or visa versa?

Also, do you stretch before, during, or after working out? I used to stretch before working out, but I read somewhere that it's not good. So when do you guys stretch?

ill get on stretching first.

3 types of stretching that people refer to.

corrective stretching: stretches to bring the body into a neutral position. corrects postural problems.

dynamic flexibility: short quick stretches used to keep the nervous system fired up, and flexibility and range of motion optimal.

relaxation stretching: long hold stretches, slows the nervous system down. used to increase elasticity and range of motion.

dynamic flexibility is perfectly fine for between sets. its relaxation stretches that can actually hinder you.

next....tris after.

you cant have your tris failing before your pecs do. tris are strong but if you really fatigue them they will fail and your chest will not reach its full potential as far as the workout goes. progression: use your major movers and then work the minor ones.

bignate73 said:

next....tris after.

you cant have your tris failing before your pecs do. tris are strong but if you really fatigue them they will fail and your chest will not reach its full potential as far as the workout goes. progression: use your major movers and then work the minor ones.

I'm totally with him.....you don't want your tri's failing in the middle of doing a set of flat bench. If you do decide to work your tri's first.....I'd suggest pre-exhausting your chest.......to do this just get on some pec-deck flies and work your chest almost to the point of failure......then jump on the bench....this way you won't be using to much weight for you tri's.

I currently do back/bis/tris on Mon, legs on Wed, chest/shoulders on Friday. So by the time I do chest on Friday, my tris have had four days to rest. You don't have to do chest and tris on the same day. But, if you don't, I think it's a good idea to put a couple days between them.

As for stretching, I do a 3-4 minute warmup on the bike or treadmill, then do about 5 minutes of stretching before every workout. I do that because a trainer friend of mine told me it's good to get your blood pumping a little before you stretch. Then I'll do some short stretches between sets to kind of stay limber.

I hit tris on the same ay after chest and i definately find that dynamic stretching helps between sets. By the time ive finished pecs, my tris are really pumped aswell(due to heavy pressing) so a good dynamic stretch really loosens up the tris to be hit hard again. Definately tris after chest otherwise your tris will certainly hinder the progress of your chest.

One of the most memorable mistakes I have made is when I tried to train triceps before chest. Someone was on the machine/bench that I wanted so I just went straight to triceps. Did skullcrushers, pulldowns, etc. By the time I got to chest I couldn't do anything.

Top Bottom