Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trap Development

Sun

How many sets, would you all recommend on traps? Currently I am doing six.

3 DB Shrugs
3 BB Shrugs

Too many? Too little?

Are you making any progress with your current routine? It basically comes down to that, there is no magic set or rep scheme.

Also I would put cleans into the routine, they really work on my traps!!!!

------------------
The more you know, the more you grow!

http://www.xtreme-forums.com

Sounds good. Not counting warm-ups, right? I like at least 4 apiece but I've been doing this for a while and traps are naturally a weak bodypart for me.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

I use one set of shrugs at 12 repetitions for warming up... since they are fairly warm from hammering my delts.

Originally posted by Sun:
How many sets, would you all recommend on traps? Currently I am doing six.

3 DB Shrugs
3 BB Shrugs

Too many? Too little?

Yes, too many. Chose one or the other. 3 sets is ok, 2 sets is better. Go to failure.

Are you going heavy? If you can successfully complete the last rep of your last set, then you're using too little weight. If you succeed this week, add another 5lbs to the weight next week. If you can't finish the last rep of the last set, keep working at it each week till you can, and then increase the weight again.

I recommend dropping the DB shrugs and just sticking to barbell shrugs. Use the cambered barbell... the cambered barbell is the same as the regular barbell, only there is a small indentation in the middle which allows you to do shrugs.

Use straps and/or gloves and/or chalk if you have to. Your traps are much stronger than your grip and you'll be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't utilize gloves/straps for shrugs. (Don't use gloves/straps for anything else, though! hah)

OH YEAH!!! And never use a pad when you squat. I think my traps have done more growing from having a few hundred pounds of iron on them each week than they have from all this shrugging business.

Hope this helps.

-Warik

------------------
he-man.jpg

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

dubyapower.jpg

IIIIIII HAAAAAAAAVE THE POWERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

One thing with traps, you have to go heavy. Heavy front and behind the back barbell shrugs get the traps nice and thick. Always use good form, never bend/round your lower back or you risk injury.

------------------
stay hungry

My advice for trap development is to use DBs, not BBs. DBs put your arms in a more natural position, rather than adding that extra torque by having a BB in front or behind your body.

The most important thing about shrugs is that you must let your shoulders fall all the way down in the down position, and use only your shoulders when you are raising them (i.e. don't use your arms) towards your ears.

Killer trap workout for me is:

Dumbbell in each hand, each Dumbbell weighing about 35% of my own bodyweight, shrugging the shoulders 1 x 40-45

Say you weigh 200lb, 200 x 0.35 = 70lb dumbbell in each hand.

Then doing military press, (lowering Olympia bar with weights behind neck and raising) 1 set of each:

60% of bodyweight: 8 reps
55% of bodyweight: 12 reps
48% of bodyweight: 10-12 reps
Just the bar itself: 16 reps

What you can do compared to your bodyweight will vary with your strength and muscle, please only note my advice as suggestions.

If you can't even do 60% of your bodyweight once then go way down and build it up gradually as your strength increases.

Top Bottom