Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

transitioned to 8 rep sets from 5 rep sets.

Blane

Hi all:

Just finnished 4 months of 5 rep sets.

Started 8 rep sets 2 weeks ago. It may be my imagination but in two weeks my muscles look fuller since i started the 8 reps.

does this make sense?

anytime you do something different the muscle will respond.. it's not that 8 vs 5 is better there are too many other factors.. but you have introduced a new stimulus, the muscle will respond..

another example..

i was doing 20 rep sets with heavy weight.. the body gets used to it.. doesn't make you bigger.. took time off.. doing 6 rep sets now, and muscle is bigger through measurement and pictures..

Hi all:

Started 8 rep sets 2 weeks ago. It may be my imagination but in two weeks my muscles look fuller since i started the 8 reps.

does this make sense?

8 rep sets build size, 5 rep sets build strength.

I notice with higher reps i get a massive pump but with 6 and under hardly a pump no matter how heavy i go unless i take like 20sec between sets.

Hi all:

does this make sense?

It makes perfect sense. transitioning from a power phase to a hypertrophy phase will give you much fuller looking muscles.

move to 10 rep sets, and it will be even more pronounced.

I'm actually going ot move to 5 rep sets starting next week for upper body. Going for maximum strength and power while I'm on anadrol. Then, when i finish my cycle, i'll move to hypertrophy sets again which will help improve lean mass.

thank you all.

ill do the 8 reps for the remainder of the year. ill go back dowmn to 5 reps first quarter of 09.
Then ill go up to 10 reps second quarter of 09.

By next summer ill be a beast. Well as much as a beast a 40 yr old not using gear can be. lol

Hi Blane, "High repetitions cause massive glycogen depletion during the workout. The body will compensate for this in the post workout period by increasing the amount of glycogen the muscle stores.

Since glycogen is very hydrophilic, this extra glycogen will pull even more water into the cell (about 2.7g water/gram of glycogen). This increase in intracellular water is very anabolic as increased cell hydration induces increases in protein synthesis and also causes the cell to stretch."

See Bodybuilding.com - Layne Norton - Representin' The Repetition - The Truth About Rep Schemes! for Layne Norton's helpful discussion of benefits of each rep scheme (Layne employs all rep ranges).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne45.htm

This explains the instant increases in fullness.

hi blane, "high repetitions cause massive glycogen depletion during the workout. The body will compensate for this in the post workout period by increasing the amount of glycogen the muscle stores.

Since glycogen is very hydrophilic, this extra glycogen will pull even more water into the cell (about 2.7g water/gram of glycogen). This increase in intracellular water is very anabolic as increased cell hydration induces increases in protein synthesis and also causes the cell to stretch."

see bodybuilding.com - layne norton - representin' the repetition - the truth about rep schemes! for layne norton's helpful discussion of benefits of each rep scheme (layne employs all rep ranges).

Bodybuilding.com - Layne Norton - Representin' The Repetition - The Truth About Rep Schemes!

this explains the instant increases in fullness.

ty

I've always found it curious why people train in strict rep ranges as if there's some magical number.

It's not difficult to incorporate the entire spectrum in a single workout and reap the full benefits of varied rep ranges.

I use the full 5 to 15 rep (sometimes 20) range on every workout. I will often end up with 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 14 reps on a set when I didn't quite reach my goal, or my goal was too light.

In my workouts I have certain exercises where I'll max out at 5 reps (bench press, squats, presses, inclines etc), but then come back to a lighter weight and bang out 10 - 12 reps for 1 or 2 sets. On other exercises I'll use higher reps all the time.

Top Bottom